Thread: Chamonix 45H-1

Chamonix 45H-1

Hi,

New to this forum, so hello all.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the actual max bellows extension you get with this camera, and if their bellows extension is compatible with this model? I searched but didn't find this discussed.

Cheers!

Brian

Re: Chamonix 45H-1

Welcome!

The specification is 350mm:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45h1

Forum member Hugo Zhang represents Chamonix here in the US - I'm sure he can answer any other questions about the camera.

Hi Oren, and thanks. Yes, I read their website but had read somewhere that the bellows draw was a bit longer, so was confused (not unusual for me). And since it isn't a folding camera was unsure if the extension would be an option. I don't use any really long lenses currently, but do a fair bit of macro work, and may have need of something like a 400mm in the future. Was hoping someone could put a tape measure on one and let me know if it extended more than about 14", and if not, if the extension was an option. I like the reviews and the look of the camera and the weight, but am not sure that a Deardorf 4x5 special wouldn't be more versatile here in the Greater Yellowstone region.

Thanks again for the reply!

Brian

I had the same question and their official reply was that the extension board isn't for the H-1. But if you just need that 50mm extra length, I guess you'll do well with any of the extension linhof lens board. They are still being made by Chinese manufacturers. I have one myself on my Nikkor-T 500mm and it works admirably.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Creek View Post
    Was hoping someone could put a tape measure on one and let me know if it extended more than about 14", and if not, if the extension was an option. I like the reviews and the look of the camera and the weight, but am not sure that a Deardorf 4x5 special wouldn't be more versatile here in the Greater Yellowstone region.

Brian

The extension is nothing more than a carbon fiber plate with a hole in end. It attaches to the last hole in your camera's focus bed. If I had to guess the extension would also fit the H cameras as I can't see them making different widths for 4x5 cameras. Hugo will know for sure. As for the H series, I'll point out the N and F series are much more compact. I hike with mine all the time and it's easy to carry folded flat.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChamExt1.jpg   ChamExt2.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    The extension is nothing more than a carbon fiber plate with a hole in end. It attaches to the last hole in your camera's focus bed. If I had to guess the extension would also fit the H cameras as I can't see them making different widths for 4x5 cameras. Hugo will know for sure. As for the H series, I'll point out the N and F series are much more compact. I hike with mine all the time and it's easy to carry folded flat.

Kent in SD
    The H-1 doesn't use a focus bed with threaded holes like the N or F series cameras, so I don't believe the extension would be able to mount to it, nor would the H-1 front standard mount to the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    I second the utility of the N-series cameras. I love, love, love, my 45N-2; sold all of my other 4x5s because the Chamonix did it all (for me) easier and lighter. But whichever model you decide on, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks!