Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about caltar ii-n lenses

questions about caltar ii-n lenses

Hey everyone,

I recently came across a Caltar II-N 360mm f/6.8 lens, which looks like it might be a good deal. From what I've heard Caltars are re branded lenses, and their quality depends on the original maker. I've seen other Caltar II-N lenses marked as originally being Rodenstock Sironar-N lenses, does anyone know if that is true for all Caltar II-N lenses? this one certainly looks like the Sironar-N 360mm f6.8. The one weird thing is that it is being sold as a 4x5 lens, and I'm pretty sure it should cover 8x10, right?

Re: questions about caltar ii-n lenses

For normal plasmats, Caltar II-N is Sironar-N or Apo-Sironar-N, depending on the production date. (Wide-angle Caltar II-N's are Grandagon-N's.)

I've never seen a Caltar II-N in the 360mm focal length with late-production serial number and labeling style, though, so assume unless proven otherwise that it's a Sironar-N. I have one. It's very big and heavy and would be way overkill for a 4x5 field camera. But if you want a lens on the long side of normal for 8x10 and don't mind lugging the weight it's an excellent choice, will cover with ample room for movements.

For 4x5 a 14" Artar would make a whole lot more sense. Doesn't quite cover 8x10 at infinity, but would a closer distances. A 16.5" Artar would cover 8x10 though. L

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    For normal plasmats, Caltar II-N is Sironar-N or Apo-Sironar-N, depending on the production date. (Wide-angle Caltar II-N's are Grandagon-N's.)

I've never seen a Caltar II-N in the 360mm focal length with late-production serial number and labeling style, though, so assume unless proven otherwise that it's a Sironar-N. I have one. It's very big and heavy and would be way overkill for a 4x5 field camera. But if you want a lens on the long side of normal for 8x10 and don't mind lugging the weight it's an excellent choice, will cover with ample room for movements.
    If it is the Apo Sironar N version it will have the colored ring around the barrel. Otherwise it is the Sironar N, MC if it was the later version.

Bob, Caltar II-N plasmats with serial numbers from the Apo-Sironar-N era have the newer typeface but not the silver ring. At least that's true of the ones I own (150 mm and 300 mm), and I can't recall ever seeing a Caltar II-N plasmat with the ring elsewhere either. I'm happy to be corrected if someone can show an example that proves otherwise.

EDIT: A quick survey of what's currently up on eBay shows late 90/6.8 Caltar II-N (Grandagon-N) with the green ring as well as without. There's a late 150 and a late 210, neither of which has the silver ring.

EDIT 2: Adding completed listings to the survey turned up another late 90/6.8 Caltar II-N with green ring, and a late 240 Caltar II-N without silver ring.

Lens Trivia R Us!

thanks! I'm not thinking of using it on 4x5, this would be for an 8x10 kit I'm putting together. I just found it odd that it was being sold for 4x5 when it covers so much more, so wanted to make sure there wasn't anything about this lens I was missing. What is the difference between the Sironar-N lenses and Apo Sironar-N lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Bob, Caltar II-N plasmats with serial numbers from the Apo-Sironar-N era have the newer typeface but not the silver ring. At least that's true of the ones I own (150 mm and 300 mm), and I can't recall ever seeing a Caltar II-N plasmat with the ring elsewhere either. I'm happy to be corrected if someone can show an example that proves otherwise.

EDIT: There are late Caltar II-N Grandagon-N's with the green ring, though.
    It is very possible that Rodenstock stopped supplying Calumet USA with the Apo Sironar N series with slower moving lenses due to Calumet not meeting their purchasing commitments as a private label supplier and lack of payments. Especially with slower selling lenses like the 360mm.

We're still left with the mystery of why some of the late-production Caltar-labeled Grandagon-N's have green rings while others don't. But this is entirely a bit of academic trivia - it's completely irrelevant to making pictures, for which either type will be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    I just found it odd that it was being sold for 4x5
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    What is the difference between the Sironar-N lenses and Apo Sironar-N lenses?
    Bob worked for the company that at the time was the US distributor for Rodenstock, so he can give you the official word. The "Apo"-labeled ones appear to be the same optical designs, but as they are newer they may have benefited from improved coatings or other refinements in production processes. The earliest Sironar-N's were not multicoated, but those can easily be distinguished as the multicoated ones are labeled "MC". The 120 mm focal length was offered only in the Sironar-N series, never as an Apo-Sironar-N. In my own lens shopping I'll happily take a Sironar-N, Apo-Sironar-N, Caltar II-N or Sinaron S, choosing on the basis of price and condition.

Green ring Calters were undesirable, so I bought them.

I can't see any problem with them, "Said the blind man".

Truth and humor...
    Tin Can