Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Re: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Very nice. Looks like you are almost ready to try a couple units in the real world. Will you be using a formed cover? Since it's low voltage do you need any agency approvals to sell?
    I'm amazed at the progress in such a short time.

Thanks for the support!. The cover will eventually be thick vacuum formed plastic but I need to get an idea of production volumes before I get them made, the wooden cover allows me to progress with the design and testing of the machine until then. I specifically looked for an external power supply with CE and FCC approvals so that the machine itself won't require specific certification as it doesn't contain any dangerous voltages or fall under any other hazard categories. That said, I believe that if I wanted to sell it through retail stores in the USA it would probably require UL certification (but it's unlikely these will ever be sold retail).

impressive work done so far.
    any indication of price level?

I've been following along since the beginning and it's so impressive! A couple of questions, would you use standard reels or at some point use Jobo reels? the Jobo being smaller allow for smaller tanks and less chemistry, that'd be neat. What are the planned tank capacities? And I second the price point. I'd be one of the first ones to order one!

agree with Daniel re: Jobo reels. If you made the drum and core to accept Jobo steel reels (for 15xx tanks), that could possibly entice Jobo users looking for a smaller, automated unit...like me perhaps
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Paterson reels are 1/3 the price of Jobo. The AP reels shown, are very popular, inexpensive. I use Jobo reels because of my processor, but they are finicky until you learn the nuances of loading, especially with 120. MHOFWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Paterson reels are 1/3 the price of Jobo. The AP reels shown, are very popular, inexpensive. I use Jobo reels because of my processor, but they are finicky until you learn the nuances of loading, especially with 120. MHOFWIW.

Sorry for the fuzziness, I only use Hewes steel reels. the two teeth for the sprocket catch are a godsend for loading film
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Sorry for the fuzziness, I only use Hewes steel reels. the two teeth for the sprocket catch are a godsend for loading film
    I've got Hewes for Jobo/Paterson columns, and yes there's no better reel. This type should work fine on this setup. A caution, the weight of the SS reels may be an issue. I've found the plastic Jobo reels put a lot less strain on the motor of my smaller Jobo, not sure how this would effect this machine.
    Best Regards Mike

Haven't actually used any of the JOBO reels, I'll have to get my hands on some for testing. If they're smaller then maybe it would only require a different spindle to take them in the same tank (which wouldn't save chemistry but would allow you to use the reels). Ultimately it will come down to how much demand there is, as Duolab as said the AP patterson style reels are pretty good and quite cheap, and also probably easily available second-hand, so compared to the cost of the machine I don't think reels will be that big of an outlay.

I tested Patterson reels in the mid 1980s with rotary processing and found the plastic spiral comes too close to the image area of 120 film and I got over-development at the very edges. Films and chemistry have changed since then, so maybe the effect will not be seen. I'd check that this will not be an issue if the plan is to use Patterson reels.