Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Re: Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBurns View Post
    The 3D printed one wasn't really the correct material for fully functional testing, it wasn't black and opaque for keeping light out and the heat deflection temperature of the resin isn't really as high as I'd like (also not sure about the chemical resistance). I also needed one or two other parts made so I got them all done together, I'm still going to use all 3D printed parts for the valves for the time being.
    So are you still planning on vacuum casting with PU? Should be bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    So are you still planning on vacuum casting with PU? Should be bulletproof.
    Yep I have 10 sets of parts on the way with vacuum cast PU, I hope they're bulletproof! Luckily with a set of 10 of everything coming I can sacrifice one or two tanks to destructive testing with some abnormally rough use.

Yep I have 10 sets of parts on the way with vacuum cast PU, I hope they're bulletproof! Luckily with a set of 10 of everything coming I can sacrifice one or two tanks to destructive testing with some abnormally rough use.
    Depends on the exact formula. Bowling balls are made with PU resins, it's tough stuff.

The 3D printed one wasn't really the correct material for fully functional testing, it wasn't black and opaque for keeping light out and the heat deflection temperature of the resin isn't really as high as I'd like (also not sure about the chemical resistance). I also needed one or two other parts made so I got them all done together, I'm still going to use all 3D printed parts for the valves for the time being.
    Still would of been possible to run it in the dark to develop B&W and test for even dev But probably easier to just go ahead and order sample, hopefully no changes will be required (still would of been nice to do phototherm cross-compatibility). How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

$1500 USD for 10 machines worth of parts (not just the develop tank, but also a few other parts used elsewhere in the machine). Speaking of which, the parts arrived today and they look great!

https://www.facebook.com/midtonemach...07222046776680

[QUOTE=AndrewBurns;1518339]$1500 USD for 10 machines worth of parts (not just the develop tank, but also a few other parts used elsewhere in the machine). Speaking of which, the parts arrived today and they look

Very exciting, how are you planning to test? I'm a recent retiree, I worked in home appliances, we did testing to failure, (if done correctly a refrigerator door weighted with lead, will go at least 300,000 cycles before falling off ) and some field testing, usually with employees. Field tests are great but expensive, we would need to retrieve everything that was pre production do to safety certifications (UL, CSA etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    $1500 USD for 10 machines worth of parts (not just the develop tank, but also a few other parts used elsewhere in the machine). Speaking of which, the parts arrived today and they look

Very exciting, how are you planning to test? I'm a recent retiree, I worked in home appliances, we did testing to failure, (if done correctly a refrigerator door weighted with lead, will go at least 300,000 cycles before falling off ) and some field testing, usually with employees. Field tests are great but expensive, we would need to retrieve everything that was pre production do to safety certifications (UL, CSA etc.)
    One of the servo pinch valves has done 16000 cycles before I stopped the test (no failure). I'll be using the prototype machine for all of my personal photography once it gets going, which will be at least a few sheets of 4x5 per week. I also plan to get some of the early beta machines out to other local people and potentially one commercial lab for testing.

New blog post is up:

http://midtonemachines.com/news/let-...ramming-begin/

I've started wiring and programming the machine now, can make the valves open and close and the motors spin around. Actually making the machine function is trivial compared to making a nice user interface! But I don't want the user interface to be super cryptic or hard to use like something designed in the 80's so it's well worth the effort.

New blog post, sorry it's been a while:

http://midtonemachines.com/news/the-...ing-continues/

Programming is more or less complete for now and the machine is nearly at the level of functionality that would allow me to develop some B&W film (which is my goal for the end of the year). Next stop is designing up a custom PCB to save on wiring effort, clean the thing up a bit and combine a number of functions currently being handled by off-the-shelf boards.

New blog post, sorry it's been a while:

http://midtonemachines.com/news/the-...ing-continues/

Programming is more or less complete for now and the machine is nearly at the level of functionality that would allow me to develop some B&W film (which is my goal for the end of the year). Next stop is designing up a custom PCB to save on wiring effort, clean the thing up a bit and combine a number of functions currently being handled by off-the-shelf boards.
    Looking good. I used a machine back in the 80's, it was for old school wet chemistry Kjeldahl nitrogen determination. It was 10 times more complicated. Imagine mixing concentrated sulfuric acid with 50% sodium hydroxide then steam distilling the whole mess.

Your plan of simplifying the wiring etc will clean up the bit of tangle. Looks great.
    Best Regards Mike