Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Following Ilford's Lead, KODAK Response

Re: Following Ilford's Lead, KODAK Response

Pere, submit your resume to Kodak and Fuji and keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    Yes, Kodak was something in their day. But nostalgia only goes so far.
    Nostalgia is future-proof. Not.

How many clients ask for 8x10 media? Almost none. It is an enthusiast's format and I think all competent film makers consider our interest as a tiny, fragile, diminishing market. Perhaps they wish we would just collapse under economic duress. It seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    How many clients ask for 8x10 media? Almost none. It is an enthusiast's format and I think all competent film makers consider our interest as a tiny, fragile, diminishing market. Perhaps they wish we would just collapse under economic duress. It seems likely.
    And they look at their film sales!

Drew Wiley

I have reason to suspect far more of their 8x10 film, TMX in particular, still goes to certain industrial applications rather than our kind of usage. But as long as they're coating master rolls of certain emulsions for sake of sheet film, it's means that particular operation is somehow profitable. How they slice it into sizes afterwards is a lesser issue. You've got three superb color neg products being sized in 8x10 to choose from, and three excellent black and white options routinely available. I wouldn't complain. If you're taking the trouble to tote around a heavy 8x10 camera, they're doing you the favor of diminishing your cumulative weight load by significantly lightening your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    This is not the ilford's case, they serve 8x10" customers at similar per surface price than 120 format, and they even make custom ULF cuts once per year. Not a big business, I guess, but sure they have no loss and they keep alive ULF and promote 8x10".

This is serving customers fairly and developing CRM/PR: "specifically focusing on customer retention and ultimately driving sales growth". Chapeau!

Instead, Kodak/Fuji look focused in taking all possible money from last sheet film users. I would be happy to see Kodak/Fuji making a bet for the long term in the LF segment, they require some faith to change their minding.

This 2019 a Velvia 8x10" slide is the most powerful media on earth, not the most convenient way to take an image but most excellent way, and they are focused in closing that product line.

The short term yield they obtain from doubling price in that small sheet market is ridiculous, they end on low sales and probably fixed costs of the product line takes a big share.

I'd say them: don't kill that. You have a junior class marketing officer increasing profit by a ridiculous amount in the short short term but killing something important for the company, its roots and its supreme excellence.

IMHO they are not aware about what they are killing.

Sheet film must be cheaper to make, cut and box than any roll film.

10 sheet boxes are a marketing scam to hook youth with 'samples'.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is not the ilford's case, they serve 8x10" customers at similar per surface price than 120 format, and they even make custom ULF cuts once per year. Not a big business, I guess, but sure they have no loss and they keep alive ULF and promote 8x10".

This is serving customers fairly and developing CRM/PR: "specifically focusing on customer retention and ultimately driving sales growth". Chapeau!

Instead, Kodak/Fuji look focused in taking all possible money from last sheet film users. I would be happy to see Kodak/Fuji making a bet for the long term in the LF segment, they require some faith to change their minding.

This 2019 a Velvia 8x10" slide is the most powerful media on earth, not the most convenient way to take an image but most excellent way, and they are focused in closing that product line.

The short term yield they obtain from doubling price in that small sheet market is ridiculous, they end on low sales and probably fixed costs of the product line takes a big share.

I'd say them: don't kill that. You have a junior class marketing officer increasing profit by a ridiculous amount in the short short term but killing something important for the company, its roots and its supreme excellence.

IMHO they are not aware about what they are killing.
    Are you naive enough to believe that Kodak management is not aware of how much 810 film is currently used and where? Or is your belief based on what you want to see without knowledge of the actual state of the current 810 market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Are you naive enough to believe that Kodak management is not aware of how much 810 film is currently used and where?
    They are aware, they see how ilford is taking their LF customers, but they still prefer selling a lot less with higher profit per box, it is a good policy in the short term and a good general policy if you are to close a product line, this is taking as much money you can now from (semi) "captive" customers, but it's a bad policy in the long term because you are to destroy the customer base.

Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Or is your belief based on what you want to see without knowledge of the actual state of the current 810 market.
    This is not kodak's 8x10" policy, for 4x5" have the same policy. It is kodak's sheet film policy.

...but as 8x10" is x4 times more expensive than 45 I guess it has a greater discouraging impact in the king format. In the color segment the thing is crazy

This is what has Fotoimpex today in the EU:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portra.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	193254

Read it well, they even prefer not having stock, back order. This is $31 per sheet, this is x4 times more expensive than the same surface in 120 format, today in the EU a 120 roll of Portra 160 is $8 (free shipping):

Name:	p2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	193253

Well, if kodak is not destroying the LF color photography in the EU... what the hell are they doing ?

I'm in the EU, kodak is telling me: look, don't buy our LF products, we have this price because we don't want you buy that, good bye dear customer.

_______

Kodak should be selling the 10 sheets Portra 8x10" box for 72€, if following the ilford's policy to keep "per surface" price. In that case perhaps they would be helping popularity of LF color photography, at 275€ they are killing it, clearly.

At 275€ they may have a $150 additional profit per box, but they don't sell a single one, as you guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    They are aware, they see how ilford is taking their LF customers, but they still prefer selling a lot less with higher profit per box, it is a good policy in the short term and a good general policy if you are to close a product line, this is taking as much money you can now from (semi) "captive" customers, but it's a bad policy in the long term because you are to destroy the customer base.

Isn't it?

This is not kodak's 8x10" policy, for 4x5" have the same policy. It is kodak's sheet film policy.

...but as 8x10" is x4 times more expensive than 45 I guess it has a greater discouraging impact in the king format. In the color segment the thing is crazy

This is what has Fotoimpex today in the EU:

Name:	portra.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	193254

Read it well, they even prefer not having stock, back order. This is $31 per sheet, this is x4 times more expensive than the same surface in 120 format, today in the EU a 120 roll of Portra 160 is $8 (free shipping):

Name:	p2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	193253

Well, if kodak is not destroying the LF color photography in the EU... what the hell are they doing ?

I'm in the EU, kodak is telling me: look, don't buy our LF products, we have this price because we don't want you buy that, good bye dear customer.

_______

Kodak should be selling the 10 sheets Portra 8x10" box for 72€, if following the ilford's policy to keep "per surface" price. In that case perhaps they would be helping popularity of LF color photography, at 275€ they are killing it, clearly.

At 275€ they may have a $150 additional profit per box, but they don't sell a single one, as you guessed.
    Nonsense!