Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I called Quality Light Metric in Hollywood to ask if they can get me the spare dials and perhaps calibrate the SinarSix. It turns out that they have no idea what my light meter even is and, that said, they can't get the spare dials or even calibrate it.

I guess the next step is to either buy a used SinarSix with all the dials from eBay or just get a whole new kind of light meter/spot meter altogether.

What do you guys suggest I do? I do like the concept of how the SinarSix works, especially since it also apparently takes care of bellows extension.

I guess what I'm asking is should I just get a whole new SinarSix, or should I get a Minolta/Pentax/Sekonic spot meter?

I'm afraid of constantly using my iPhone app. It's good for what it is, but I think that, sooner or later, it's going to screw me up.

If you have a metering back you could also get the Booster that uses the Minolta Flash Meter.

Kumar

Sekonic L-508 or newer models. Spot, flash, and incident meter in one unit. Has toggles for 1/2 or 1/3 stops, memory and averaging functions, EV output, etc...............
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    So I called Quality Light Metric in Hollywood to ask if they can get me the spare dials and perhaps calibrate the SinarSix. It turns out that they have no idea what my light meter even is and, that said, they can't get the spare dials or even calibrate it.
    Try calling him back, and tell him it's the European version of the Gossen Luna-Pro. I believe it was called "THE LUNASIX" but that's from memory.

If he knows it's a basically just a Lunapro with an attached probe, he should at least be willing look at it. Gossen sold millions of Lunapro's.

Ten to one it's a battery contact problem. Don't give up!

-Dan

EDIT: I see in another posting he dosen't work on Lunasixes. I wonder why not?
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Jul-2019 at 07:01.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Here's a Youtube on converting the Lunasix with the diode, and general disassembly as well as calibration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfyLjUmRP8

Is there a local shop or repair guy around you?

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Gossen won't do Lunasixes any more - they say no parts. But I wonder what proportion of meter service requests require parts, as opposed to just cleaning/adjusting/fixes that don't need parts.

Thanks for posting, as now I understand how a SinarSix works.

That book is still very expensive new, but I found a reasonable one slightly used and bought it.

My question is, to use a SinarSix does a Sinar camera have to have a metering back?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Not the nicest scan, but here it is.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    My question is, to use a SinarSix does a Sinar camera have to have a metering back?
    If you are using your 5x7 Norma..... You need the Norma era Sinarsix, the 4x5 Norma Meter Cassette, and the 5x7 Norma Sinarsix Adapter. BTW this will then fit into ANY 4x5 or 5x7 camera. The metering cassette backs came on the scene with more modern F/P Sinars..........

My advice to you, is to keep your Norma ALL NORMA. Works best that way.

― Mark Twain

Thanks, good advice!

I have been finding a few interesting Norma bits from a wide range of sources.

Show and Tell will be later than sooner.

If you are using your 5x7 Norma..... You need the Norma era Sinarsix, the 4x5 Norma Meter Cassette, and the 5x7 Norma Sinarsix Adapter. BTW this will then fit into ANY 4x5 or 5x7 camera. The metering cassette backs came on the scene with more modern F/P Sinars..........

My advice to you, is to keep your Norma ALL NORMA. Works best that way.
    Tin Can

FWIW, Dan, he re-calibrated my Lunasix about three yrs ago, although it was in excellent condition and not likely to need parts. He told me, when I asked about the necessity of installing the Gossen Adapter Kit / Battery Holder ($44 at that time), that the adapter was not necessary and that I only needed to replace the mercury batteries with two PX625A alkaline batteries (which are stronger than the original mercury batteries). He adjusted for the higher 3v and re-calibrated. It now agrees exactly with my Pentax Digital Spotmeter.