Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working \_(ツ)_/

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Need Light Meter Recommendations | My SinarSix isn't working \_(ツ)_/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    i prefer the analog spot meters. the sell cheap, just look for what type of battery they use. i have one tyat uses a regular 9 volt battery.

as for accuracy... consistancy is more important. regardless of which meter you get, it all comes down to how you use it. you can buy the most expensive, most accurate meter in the world... your pictures still depend on how you process your film, n print them.
    But still even the best light meter must be calibrated.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    The storefront does exist:

Quality Light Metric Co.
    7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
    Hollywood, Ca. 90028

This is the address where I shipped my Lunasix. It shows on Google Maps.
    Anyone really should have their meters checked by one of the few service centers left, because once they are no longer here, (and techs retire), you have to find another older meter that might need service too, but a fresh calibrated working meter should last a long time (if not damaged)... Probably will not be made again...

Take advantage of service people who will do a good job for much less than an average car repair, and use with confidence for years to come...

The same goes for your shutters, bellows + other stuff (there are a # of resources now, but maybe not so much later), and keep a win-win situation for the shops and yourself...

Your gear will sorta stay the same, get worse, but not better unless serviced as time goes on, and might even become more important to you later, and you will be glad you did in the past (now)...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Does anyone recommend the Sekonic L-758dr, or is that just overkill?

So far, as far as spot meters are concerned, I'm thinking of the Sekonic L-778, the Pentax Digital spot meter, and the Minolta F or M spot meter (which of these is better, the F or the M?).

I can't really afford the Sekonic L-758dr, but if it's a good investment, I may go for it.

Any suggestions?
    Any of those would be good. I've never actually seen the 778, but it is supposed to be really good. The Sekonic meters that do both incident and spot are nice to have, the 508 and up. Gossen also makes some good meters but they are pricey. The Minolta spot meters are good as well. As far as I can remember the F is just an M with flash capability. The Pentax digital spot meter is the most popular now it seems.

You don't need a spot meter either. I never got along with spot meters, too much pfaffing around, but I've been doing it a long time so I kinda know. Spot meters are best if you want to be a zonie.

If $150 is too pricey for you right now, there are incident meters that are really good and don't cost that much. A Gossen SBC for example.

I think though that the best thing to do is bite the bullet and get a meter you can live with for a long time. it is worth it.

Hope that helps you.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    The storefront does exist:

Quality Light Metric Co.
    7095 Hollywood Blvd # 550
    Hollywood, Ca. 90028

This is the address where I shipped my Lunasix. It shows on Google Maps.
    Actually George no longer has that office. Instead you can ship to the FedEx store at that address or take to that FedEx store to drop off and later pick up.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.