Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spherical aberration solved?

Re: spherical aberration solved?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Very cool, jac
    I was impressed! Something nature figured out 500 million years ago! I wonder if we could make micro-lenses for digital sensors like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I was impressed! Something nature figured out 500 million years ago! I wonder if we could make micro-lenses for digital sensors like that.
    Nah there’s easier ways. It’s all about the right tool for the job.

The form or I guess you could say the design approach you show is used for focusing x-rays and other very high energy wavelengths. In that application it is the easiest approach to implement.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Nature did not "Figure this out", Nature wrote ALL the rules. With the passage of time using essentially trial and error various creatures and sometimes humanity also figures out how to make the best symbolic deal to solve a problem that completely fits the rules set down by Nature.

The better one understands the way Nature really is, the better a symbiotic deal can be made. Try to get around the ways of Nature comes a cost with no exceptions.

Doing technical design work often instill a very serious appreciation of how unforgiving Nature really is.

As for this Academic paper presented, caused cringing as this was more of a math exercise than a real world solution. Previously mentioned, any lens grinder that would attempt to make the complex curvature of this proposed solution would face some very serious challenges and problems to solve. Real world solutions must be producible and replicated with not too much difficulty and complexity or the cost per item grows rapidly in a very non-linear way. Designs that have endured the test of time have survived the real world test of solving and meet the specific need well enough at a reasonable cost and ease of production or product evolution would have caused extinction early on in the products life.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Nature did not "Figure this out", Nature wrote ALL the rules. With the passage of time using essentially trial and error various creatures [...]
    Have you wondered about the necessity of feedback to inform Nature when it has optimized the design, or does change continue to possibly make it worse? Is the feedback simply survival?

The better one understands the way Nature really is, the better a symbiotic deal can be made. Try to get around the ways of Nature comes a cost with no exceptions.

Doing technical design work often instill a very serious appreciation of how unforgiving Nature really is.
    That's why it is called Mother Nature.

As for this Academic paper presented, caused cringing as this was more of a math exercise than a real world solution. Previously mentioned, any lens grinder that would attempt to make the complex curvature of this proposed solution would face some very serious challenges and problems to solve.
    If you are referring to Levi-Seti's device, it has no glass. It is hollow, spun in a machine shop. This was decades before 3D printing. I met with the machinist.

Jac, given time to work natural selection can be counted on to find "at least good enough for the situation." It prunes off badly sub-optimal solutions, can't be counted on to find the optimum optimorum. This because of physical limits on what's possible and because situations change and what's at least good enough changes with them. Re this second point, I give you the humble but very well-studied Trinidadian guppy.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Looks like this single-element correction is already allowing Canon to come up with some very simplified new designs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canon Patent.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."