Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meter service at Quality Light Metric

Meter service at Quality Light Metric

For those needing meter calibration, I thought I'd pass along my experience with two sources originally recommended here.

After reading a post on Alan Ross's website (former Ansel Adams assistant) about getting meters matched (https://www.alanrossphotography.com/meter-calibration/), I had sent both of my meters, a Gossen Lunastar F and a Pentax V (analog) spot meter, to Quality Light Metric (QLM), because they weren't matching and, despite various tests on my own, including some provided in the forum, figuring out exactly how to compensate for the differences seemed to be a moving target and became a headache (some user error probably figuring into the variables along with design differences).

Although George Milton at QLM (call; there is no website) had said that turn-around was currently 1-2 days (!), mine took all of 7 (! again), for whatever reason. Anyway, I spoke with him this morning and had a nice chat. While before-and-after measurements are not included with returned meters, except for customers such as NASA, he did tell me that the long-uncalibrated Gossen had come in reading high in the low values and low in the highs, which makes general sense with the comparative readings I was getting. He also expressed surprise at the great condition of the Pentax ("practically like new"), which I'm sure is owing to Richard's attention to it, so kudos there! George said both meters "are now perfect". And, the reasonable charge per meter was discounted since I had sent two simultaneously.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Drew Wiley

Re: Meter service at Quality Light Metric

He's busy enough that meters often do seem to take a week. His service is significantly close to Hollywood, which comprises the bulk of his clientele. I keep several matched Pentax digital spotmeters on hand, and if any one of them drifts perceptibly anywhere over its entire range, I send it by itself to him and it comes back precisely matched to the others. But that only happens about once per decade per meter at most. But I have dropped a couple of meters in streams, and that obviously required repair.

Seven days is extremely short in my general camera/equip repair experience over decades; two weeks was pleasant and 3-4 more likely. Of course, I was never a Life, National Geographic, or Magnum photographer. Once, I pulled over a tripod with one of my Nikon FMs on it onto a linoleum floor in my house. I rewound the film and opened the back, finding disconnected shutter blades, to my horror: I was scheduled to leave for an extended trip Europe in two days! I dashed to the local camera shop in the small town outside Washington, DC, where we lived, and asked the owner if he knew anyone local. He got on the phone, explained the problem, and gave me directions to a Nikon repair shop north of DC, where, he said, the owner, George, would look at it as soon as I got there. Arriving less than two hours later, I handed it over to George Sr., a Chilean man by birth I later learned (Bob Solomon would probably have known him). He asked me to wait while he took my camera to the back. He reappeared in 15 minutes and said it was fixed. I was ebullient; he said, "Wait till you see the bill." I was prepared for that; $200 maybe, about the cost of the body, for instant service like that. I think he charged me about $30. I immediately found a wine store and bought him a bottle of good Bordeaux!
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

It's great that this service is available. I had Richard adjust my Pentax a few years ago. After 15 years of service, it had drifted off a bit.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a Weston Master III with a dead cell, and a Gossen Lunasix that needs conversion to non-mercury battery. Both were thrift store finds—the Weston worked when I bought it—so I have almost no money invested in either. Any idea if it would be possible/worthwhile to have them serviced by QLM?
    David
    Comments and critique always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DDrake View Post
    I have a Weston Master III with a dead cell, and a Gossen Lunasix that needs conversion to non-mercury battery. Both were thrift store finds—the Weston worked when I bought it—so I have almost no money invested in either. Any idea if it would be possible/worthwhile to have them serviced by QLM?
    Call and ask.

Ray Van Nes

I had a Weston III serviced by them and they did a great job. However, I believe that replacement batteries for the Weston are no longer available. Apparently they are only good for 30 years. No wonder they went out of business - no obsolescence! Just kidding. Mine is still going as it appears it was not used much based on the condition of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Van Nes View Post
    I had a Weston III serviced by them and they did a great job. However, I believe that replacement batteries for the Weston are no longer available. Apparently they are only good for 30 years. No wonder they went out of business - no obsolescence! Just kidding. Mine is still going as it appears it was not used much based on the condition of the case.
    Batteries? Don't you mean Selenium cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Call and ask.
    Just called--unfortunately, service isn't available for either. Too bad—the Weston in particular is a beautifully-made object. But new selenium cells are apparently no longer made.
    David
    Comments and critique always welcome.

Does he calibrate Minolta Autometer IIIF's? Cost?