Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Automega E3 Glass Negative Carrier Needs New Anti-Newton Glass

Re: Automega E3 Glass Negative Carrier Needs New Anti-Newton Glass

Just read the qouted article, pretty much sums up what I experienced !
    You could put some baby powder in a bulb with a noozle, but to quote the article: "Since photographers are usually clean freaks in the darkroom this method didn’t have much of a following. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good to hear of a powder practitioner as described in a link in Post # 3 this thread.

However as Cor infers they may be very hard to find. FDA Banned 2017.

Overnight I received this message from the seller in Germany. So now I am wondering whether to cancel the order, or get the discount on the scratched glass and proceed with what Glenn can come up with.

Hello,
    I must apologize- I discovered some small scratches that I was not aware until I inspected the glass before packing. One is about 3cm from the short edge and 5mm long. Opposite there is a very faint scratch about 2mm long and 1,5cm from the edge-barely visible. Both scratches are on the AN Side. It probably won't matter much with the glass on top, but it's definitely there. I can offer you a discount of 15EUR, or we can cancel the transaction completely. Once again-sorry about this- I originally had a couple of the glass inserts and lost track...

What do you guys think? Eventually I will use an LED Diffusion source
    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

It's your money.

I bet all of us here have bought the wrong or defective thing...many times!

I have
    Vive la révolution!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    It may be a question of how deep the scratches are. They might be much less visible than you think, especially if you're not making big prints. Dust is likely to be more of a headache.

If you're buying from Germany, contact Kienzle & find out how much their AN glass might cost if cut to the size you need - they can supply pieces suitable for the Durst 138s etc.

Drew Wiley

Offset powder is very finely sifted corn starch, not talcum powder. But I don't know why anyone would want powder inside an enlarger. Anti-Newton sprays are available from the same suppliers as scanning fluid and don't have that issue, but do need to be used under a fume hood due to nasty solvents. They're removable.

Nobody said talcum
    Vive la révolution!

Decided to cancel the order. But now I know what I want. Decades ago I worked in a color separation house and ran an 8x10 Durst top of the line. We used powder if we saw Newton rings.
    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Tin Can - of course a reference was made to talcum. That's primarily what is used on powdered gloves. There is no ban on the mfg and sale of powdered gloves - they're sold in the millions every day - but a prohibition on their use in actual surgical procedures etc. Operating rooms don't go to Costco or Walgreens or a hardware store to buy "surgical" gloves; they have to be officially sterile and individually sealed in wrapper. Totally different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Overnight I received this message from the seller in Germany. So now I am wondering whether to cancel the order, or get the discount on the scratched glass and proceed with what Glenn can come up with.

Hello,
    I must apologize- I discovered some small scratches that I was not aware until I inspected the glass before packing. One is about 3cm from the short edge and 5mm long. Opposite there is a very faint scratch about 2mm long and 1,5cm from the edge-barely visible. Both scratches are on the AN Side. It probably won't matter much with the glass on top, but it's definitely there. I can offer you a discount of 15EUR, or we can cancel the transaction completely. Once again-sorry about this- I originally had a couple of the glass inserts and lost track...

This was similar to what I had. That is, I had 5x7" pieces with slight imperfections near the edges and I cut them to 4x5" retaining only the perfect glass. Seems like you need the whole 5x7 area, however. Some imperfections won't show, so I'd offer $20 to him. Since the glass seems hard to obtain, maybe having the pieces might pay off later.