Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Automega E3 Glass Negative Carrier Needs New Anti-Newton Glass

Re: Automega E3 Glass Negative Carrier Needs New Anti-Newton Glass

Just read the qouted article, pretty much sums up what I experienced !
    You could put some baby powder in a bulb with a noozle, but to quote the article: "Since photographers are usually clean freaks in the darkroom this method didn’t have much of a following. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good to hear of a powder practitioner as described in a link in Post # 3 this thread.

However as Cor infers they may be very hard to find. FDA Banned 2017.

Overnight I received this message from the seller in Germany. So now I am wondering whether to cancel the order, or get the discount on the scratched glass and proceed with what Glenn can come up with.

Hello,
    I must apologize- I discovered some small scratches that I was not aware until I inspected the glass before packing. One is about 3cm from the short edge and 5mm long. Opposite there is a very faint scratch about 2mm long and 1,5cm from the edge-barely visible. Both scratches are on the AN Side. It probably won't matter much with the glass on top, but it's definitely there. I can offer you a discount of 15EUR, or we can cancel the transaction completely. Once again-sorry about this- I originally had a couple of the glass inserts and lost track...

What do you guys think? Eventually I will use an LED Diffusion source
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

It's your money.

I bet all of us here have bought the wrong or defective thing...many times!

I have
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    It may be a question of how deep the scratches are. They might be much less visible than you think, especially if you're not making big prints. Dust is likely to be more of a headache.

If you're buying from Germany, contact Kienzle & find out how much their AN glass might cost if cut to the size you need - they can supply pieces suitable for the Durst 138s etc.

Drew Wiley

Offset powder is very finely sifted corn starch, not talcum powder. But I don't know why anyone would want powder inside an enlarger. Anti-Newton sprays are available from the same suppliers as scanning fluid and don't have that issue, but do need to be used under a fume hood due to nasty solvents. They're removable.

Nobody said talcum
    Tin Can

Decided to cancel the order. But now I know what I want. Decades ago I worked in a color separation house and ran an 8x10 Durst top of the line. We used powder if we saw Newton rings.

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Tin Can - of course a reference was made to talcum. That's primarily what is used on powdered gloves. There is no ban on the mfg and sale of powdered gloves - they're sold in the millions every day - but a prohibition on their use in actual surgical procedures etc. Operating rooms don't go to Costco or Walgreens or a hardware store to buy "surgical" gloves; they have to be officially sterile and individually sealed in wrapper. Totally different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Overnight I received this message from the seller in Germany. So now I am wondering whether to cancel the order, or get the discount on the scratched glass and proceed with what Glenn can come up with.

Hello,
    I must apologize- I discovered some small scratches that I was not aware until I inspected the glass before packing. One is about 3cm from the short edge and 5mm long. Opposite there is a very faint scratch about 2mm long and 1,5cm from the edge-barely visible. Both scratches are on the AN Side. It probably won't matter much with the glass on top, but it's definitely there. I can offer you a discount of 15EUR, or we can cancel the transaction completely. Once again-sorry about this- I originally had a couple of the glass inserts and lost track...

This was similar to what I had. That is, I had 5x7" pieces with slight imperfections near the edges and I cut them to 4x5" retaining only the perfect glass. Seems like you need the whole 5x7 area, however. Some imperfections won't show, so I'd offer $20 to him. Since the glass seems hard to obtain, maybe having the pieces might pay off later.

13x18 Durst ANG from Austria by Nokton48, on Flickr

Two NICE sheets of Durst 138 13x18cm ANG arrived today from Austria. 39 Euros each plus combined shipping. By far the best deal I could find. They seem to have more of it if anybody is interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DURST-GLAS-...53.m2749.l2649

― Mark Twain