Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Matting & Framing for Display

  1. #21
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    12,990

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    With mats, the point to give breathing space visually to the image itself, without introducing any unnecessary competition. When it comes to the frame, I also like understatement, but not everyone dressed the same. The subtle effects of a specific toner or in the case of color prints, delicate hue balance, is a make or break proposition of the frame choice itself. I use both metal and wooden frames depending on the appropriateness to the given image, its size, etc. I generally mill and finish my own hardwood frames to get exactly what I want. I keep on hand a variety of Nielsen metal mouldings in 10 ft sections too, and cut them to size as needed. Have plexi sizing gear too. So I could have hypothetically opened a full frame shop of my own, but didn't have that in mind; it's for personal use, and has saved a ton of money when it involved large shows. When I need to do a lot of framing, I get the mounts, matboards, and plexi in full sheet cases, wholesale, and then cut it in house. The masking paper on plexi can be hard to remove if it gets old, so I don't keep surplus of that on hand. For casual purchases I'll go to Tap, but they're far too expensive for big projects. Leftover board keeps well unless its already got a high-tack acrylic adhesive on it, necessary for certain kinds of color print mounting. Drymount tissue seems to keep fine for a long time.

  2. #22
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Bob,
    What is the board you use and which color white? Also the link as your signature doesn't work.
    chris
    Hi Chris... the moderators here do no allow me to put my website in the signature line, but since you ask alternativephotoservices.com is my website.

    I use a Canadian Mill - Petoboro Museum Rag White- I have completely switched to this product since it is 1. amazing 2. consistent 3 and I support a local Canadian owned company.
    I use to use Risings but found it overpriced... for exactly the same product.

    I only use 2ply backing and 4 ply for the window, and very rarely and I mean rarely use 8 ply.
    Though for large silver mural projects for gallery and musem display I will use 8 ply as a mount substrate, I prefer this to diabond or sintra .

    the frames I make here for large work all have a inside frame or brace that I screw into the outside wood frame which really adds stability and ease of IN and OUt.

  3. #23
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    With mats, the point to give breathing space visually to the image itself, without introducing any unnecessary competition. When it comes to the frame, I also like understatement, but not everyone dressed the same. The subtle effects of a specific toner or in the case of color prints, delicate hue balance, is a make or break proposition of the frame choice itself. I use both metal and wooden frames depending on the appropriateness to the given image, its size, etc. I generally mill and finish my own hardwood frames to get exactly what I want. I keep on hand a variety of Nielsen metal mouldings in 10 ft sections too, and cut them to size as needed. Have plexi sizing gear too. So I could have hypothetically opened a full frame shop of my own, but didn't have that in mind; it's for personal use, and has saved a ton of money when it involved large shows. When I need to do a lot of framing, I get the mounts, matboards, and plexi in full sheet cases, wholesale, and then cut it in house. The masking paper on plexi can be hard to remove if it gets old, so I don't keep surplus of that on hand. For casual purchases I'll go to Tap, but they're far too expensive for big projects. Leftover board keeps well unless its already got a high-tack acrylic adhesive on it, necessary for certain kinds of color print mounting. Drymount tissue seems to keep fine for a long time.
    Drew - I have known you here for years and I would love to look at one of your shows, that you produce. Do you ever exhibit outside of San Fran , I would travel to any that are within driving distance to Toronto.

  4. #24
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Bob,
    What is the board you use and which color white? Also the link as your signature doesn't work.
    chris
    Not the warm white and not the cold white, I only know it now by the code with my distributer but could find this out for you .. Petoboro had a bad rep years ago , but now the owner is a frame maker who really gets the idea of producing a good product.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    482

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Not the warm white and not the cold white, I only know it now by the code with my distributer but could find this out for you .. Petoboro had a bad rep years ago , but now the owner is a frame maker who really gets the idea of producing a good product.
    Thanks Bob,
    I've been using Bainbridge AlphaRag with the micro cell technology, two ply. I was curious what you use since you are a professional. Thanks much.

  6. #26
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Thanks Bob,
    I've been using Bainbridge AlphaRag with the micro cell technology, two ply. I was curious what you use since you are a professional. Thanks much.
    the board I use is cotton rag if that makes sense.... Bainbridge is not one common up here.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    digital nomad.
    Posts
    9

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Drew - I have known you here for years and I would love to look at one of your shows, that you produce. Do you ever exhibit outside of San Fran , I would travel to any that are within driving distance to Toronto.
    If I recall, Bob, you have a gallery as well as strong Toronto contacts. You could have a show of Drew’s work. Perhaps he could send you slides of a current show or of prints ready for show so you can begin the selection process.

    . - - -

  8. #28
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    12,990

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Big shows cost quite a few thousands of dollars up front just for just the extra materials unless they're publicly funded, plus lots of man hours and logistic headaches. So there has to be a commensurate incentive of at least part of the demographic audience being interested not only in the imagery for its own sake, but being wealthy enough to spend some serious money themselves collecting a bit of it. It would have to be a special venue to interest me again. But one of these days I might send Bob a couple of smaller framed prints just fun, when I start fooling around with those kinds of details again. At the moment, I'm interested in just printing and traveling some, since my window of opportunity for long backpacking trips is narrowing due to age; and I have a variety of non-photographic personal projects underway. Thank you for the comments, but push-pin community galleries are NOT the kind of thing I'm interested in. I need serious collectors and, if galleries, those with serious insurance, a good eye, and solid business ethics.

  9. #29
    bob carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario,
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Big shows cost quite a few thousands of dollars up front just for just the extra materials unless they're publicly funded, plus lots of man hours and logistic headaches. So there has to be a commensurate incentive of at least part of the demographic audience being interested not only in the imagery for its own sake, but being wealthy enough to spend some serious money themselves collecting a bit of it. It would have to be a special venue to interest me again. But one of these days I might send Bob a couple of smaller framed prints just fun, when I start fooling around with those kinds of details again. At the moment, I'm interested in just printing and traveling some, since my window of opportunity for long backpacking trips is narrowing due to age; and I have a variety of non-photographic personal projects underway. Thank you for the comments, but push-pin community galleries are NOT the kind of thing I'm interested in. I need serious collectors and, if galleries, those with serious insurance, a good eye, and solid business ethics.
    Sending framed prints is expensive but I would love to see some matted 16 x 20 or 20 x 24 I have tons of frames for that size.

  10. #30
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    12,990

    Re: Matting & Framing for Display

    I have my own crating equipment, Bob. And I don't use generic frame sizing. I have my own special sizes, my own self-contained frame shop. No big deal for just some samples. Big color prints are a totally different subject. I'm trying to finish off some 20x24 color printing before heading to the mountains for awhile, at least enough of it to use up any chemistry that might not still be good when I get back, or any aging paper.

Similar Threads

  1. Matting, framing Glass Plates/Ambrotypes
    By Willie in forum On Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6-Dec-2015, 20:29
  2. Purple Print - Matting and framing - Style opinion
    By Deval in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2014, 23:05
  3. Matting and Framing standards?
    By l2oBiN in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1-Aug-2012, 07:22
  4. Matting
    By sergiob in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 1-Nov-2011, 19:36
  5. framing and matting
    By Martin_1505 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2001, 13:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •