Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the back woods of BC Canada

Hi from the back woods of BC Canada

Just getting back into BW large Format photography,I have got my old camera out of a 30 + year hibernation and am ready but am finding B&W chemicals very hard to find within a couple of hours driving time of my home in Armstrong BC so I supose I will have to try having them shipped in.In the old days I used a lot of powders ( D76etc ) but I think I would rather go with liquid this time .Any suggestions on what to replace D76 with and any known suppliers in Canada that ship? Looking forward to Starting over.
    Michael

Les

Re: Hi from the back woods of BC Canada

I thought back woods was Atlin or Gold River....both seem to be close to the moon. Not sure if you can get HC-110, but Freestyle used to send it via ground shipment. You probably could use 23 and Photographer's Formulary (in Montana) should have that....that's closer than getting anything from Ontario :>). I think Rodinal (or newer version of it) would work, as well. No idea if you could get anything from Vancouver.

Good luck on restarting LF again.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    I thought back woods was Atlin or Gold River....both seem to be close to the moon. Not sure if you can get HC-110, but Freestyle used to send it via ground shipment. You probably could use 23 and Photographer's Formulary (in Montana) should have that....that's closer than getting anything from Ontario :>). I think Rodinal (or newer version of it) would work, as well. No idea if you could get anything from Vancouver.

Good luck on restarting LF again.

Les
    Thanks for the info,I am not sure but shipping from the US is incredibly expensive they always add fees for crossing the border and being a liquid and corrosive crossing the border gives UPS even more.I had forgotten about HC-110 but I remember it as working very well thanks for the tip I will look for it .

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a road trip to Vancouver is in order -- if they have any camera stores still in operation! Good luck!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks guys I will try Beau photo and henrys

You can always use Caffenol!

H Michael,

Beau Photo - Vancouver, Camera Traders - Victoria are in BC will happily ship. Beau Photo had Blazinol which is Rodinal branded for Canada that I like. Good Luck!

Hi Michael, welcome!
    I'm curious what brings you out of a 30-year hibernation? I ask, because I'm going on 8 or 9 years without doing anything serious in LF except dream about the day when I 'get going' again.

Hi Michael

I have a similar challenge getting chemicals here in Fort McMurray. Choices are limited but I've had good service from The Camera Store in Calgary.

https://www.thecamerastore.com/

Regards
    Dave