Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing bag

Re: Changing bag

Tinker Toy or the like (dollar store) to create a frame that is assembled inside the changing bag to keep it from collapsing and is easily dismantled when not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Did the box bit in the bag, but one big problem... Even a new, clean box tended to hold dust, lint, edge cuttings etc on them that is brought into the bag...

With a big bag, I used a new metal file hanging rack from a file cabinet, made sure there were no sharp edges and clean, and put it in the bag... It opened all the working space up, and no walls of a box to stop you, and goes flat when not in use...

And find a cooler, darker space to change films, and relax as much as possible to avoid sweat...

Steve K

I would think an appropriately sized plastic crate would avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I would think an appropriately sized plastic crate would avoid this.
    But the other big problem is a box has walls preventing full access to your materials and holders..

The nice thing about this wire stand is just the height support in the corners, and it breaks down flat...

Steve K

Foamer

What about the obvious? I use an interior bathroom with no windows. I load holders at night making sure there are no lights on in the adjoining room. In another bathroom downstairs window light hits the door, so to use it in the daytime I bought a black out curtain from Walmart and hung that over the outside of the door, and then close the door behind me. This works very well.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Russ Fill
    San Diego when Im not working somewhere on the planet, or on the road.

Im new to this site and excuse me if this has been talked about before but this is my firs post here so give me a little room to find my feet.
    I use the Harrison tent, the largest. I came from a movie pictures back ground so changing in a floppy bag was nothing new to me but the more I use my large format camera the more I needed the tent to ether un stick a Polaroid 55 sheet that had been stuck or didn't go back in to the sleeve. Or maybe some other darkroom needed issue with a box of film or any number of issues and the floppy bag just didn't cut it. I have even given the thought of trying my skills at Wet Plate in side with 4x5 but the short of it is that the space and room of a tent is very valuable and you will in time be so glad you don't have to go searching for that pice of tape off the end of a 120 roll or be able to load a developing tank with ease with 4x5 5x7 or 8x10 with out having to go and put a towel at the bottom of the door of the bathroom or if your at a camp ground in the middle of nowhere you can change out all your film holders at once and even have room to keep colored and B&W on separate sides of the tent. ITs like a mini dark room that you can use in the middle of the room with the tv on or the client standing over you wondering how much longer you need to get started again.
    Short answer Buy a Tent you won't regret it and you can always leave the spring bar rods out if you want that floppy changing bag rush feeling..

I always bring black tape when on the road to turn hotel bathrooms into darkrooms, and carefully wipe down work surfaces prior to use. I'm also very careful that after lights go off they are truly off! (certain types of lights can have a few minutes of "afterglow"). I also bring my changing bag...but do whatever I can to avoid using it!

Here's a variation on the box-in-a-bag idea: what about PVC pipe and fittings? Cheap, breaks down in seconds and can be custom-fit for any sized bag. Just make sure you clean off all the dust and burrs.

Personally, I use a Photoflex changing tent for loading 4x5 and 8x10 holders. It's quick and folds flat, but it does get quite hot and stuffy in there. So yes, limit your sessions because sweaty film does tend to bind more readily than dry stuff.