Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing bag

Changing bag

At this moment I'm reloading my fim in my dark bathroom.
    But I'm thinking of getting a changing bag.
    What are the positive/negative pointers on those?

Also,... a changing bag does not look handy if it constantly falls flat.
    Is it not better to have a changing... tent?

Re: Changing bag

My modest opinion: A tent which is collapsible for storage. Wear inexpensive, disposable gloves because a major source of dust is shedding skin. Believe it.

I used the biggest changing bag with a cardboard carton placed in it to create free space for film loading onto developing reels. Without the carton the bag collapses and it's a sweaty hands nightmare trying to shove film where it does not want to go.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I used the biggest changing bag with a cardboard carton placed in it to create free space for film loading onto developing reels. Without the carton the bag collapses and it's a sweaty hands nightmare trying to shove film where it does not want to go.
    I need to remember this! Now I need a bigger bag.

I've got Harrisons and Shadow Boxes, but if your bathroom is a decent size, I'd suggest getting a shelf or board that can be placed temporarily for loading. Nothing beats real estate when u need room for a bunch of holders and film. My tents get used when I'm on the road or on location and need to reload etc..
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by morecfm View Post
    I need to remember this! Now I need a bigger bag.
    Did the box bit in the bag, but one big problem... Even a new, clean box tended to hold dust, lint, edge cuttings etc on them that is brought into the bag...

With a big bag, I used a new metal file hanging rack from a file cabinet, made sure there were no sharp edges and clean, and put it in the bag... It opened all the working space up, and no walls of a box to stop you, and goes flat when not in use...

And find a cooler, darker space to change films, and relax as much as possible to avoid sweat...

Steve K

Les

Maris, what sort of size of the bag are you talking about....and most important, where did you get it ? I had one custom made in the 80's and I had some semi-mouldy issues with it - no longer trusting it.

Les

I use a Harrison Changing Tent.

I have done for more than 10 years - my darkroom isn't really dark - just very gloomy.

They come in 3 sizes - the Pup for 5x4, the standard tent for 10x8 and the jumbo for 11x14.

I use the standard 10x8 size bag, although I am only using 5x4, it handles 12 film holders with plenty of room to spare.

The inside is smooth as opposed to flocked, as many changing bags are, so with a modest amount of effort they are easy to keep clean.

I never have a problem with finger prints on negs or body hair or dust on the film.

I would buy another tomorrow if I lost this one.

The tents also film away/roll up in to the something the size of a cylinder of kitchen roll when you have finished.

As others have eluded to, it can get a little bit sweaty in the tent if you are warm - so I make sure I am slightly cool when handling the film.

As others have commented, changing tents are not as good as a proper dark darkroom but when you don't have one of those, a changing tent is a workable alternative.

Martin

Picked up a used Fuji FDB-12 Dark Box yesterday, they came with Fuji Frontier Labs.
    Folded it measures 36 x 85 x 10h cm (14,5" x 34 x 4"h).
    When set up (which is quick & very easy) it's 79 x 85 x 67h cm (31,6" x 34" x 26,8"h)
    Weight is 6,8 kg or 15 lbs, so this is not for hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    I use a Harrison Changing Tent.
    The tents also film away/roll up in to the something the size of a cylinder of kitchen roll when you have finished.
    Martin
    I had a used Harrison for a few years and the material degraded into a sticky mess. Turns out you can’t keep them rolled for long term storage since they need to breath. I did end up getting a new one, but now the storage is a minor nuisance and source of worry.