Thread: Kirk Gittings prints at Mesa Public Library Los Alamos

Kirk Gittings prints at Mesa Public Library Los Alamos

By chance I was in New Mexico during the "So Far From Heaven: 6 New Mexico Photographers," at the Mesa Public Library in Los Alamos. The public library is impressive & the gallery & the hanging of the show even more so. This was the first chance i'd had to see Kirk Gitting prints in the flesh rather than in magazines, catalogs or online. The subject matter was impressive & the perfect timing of some images (rainstorm over Blue Mesa for example) was inspirational. The prints themselves were equally impressive, no doubt the finest digital prints (archival pigment) i'd ever seen (that coming from a silver gelatin luddite). I'm grateful to have seen such an artfully displayed show in a beautiful public space. Kudos to all the photographers & gallery staff as well.

Re: Kirk Gittings prints at Mesa Public Library Los Alamos

Tin Can

Greg, I am sure that Kirk would like your comments about his work, and TC and I think two or three images in the link where in the show...sad to say that that closed on the 29th of June and we took down on the 30th...it was a great show, in a great space...Jan one of the other photographers of 'So Far from Heaven' along with David Halpern, Tony O'Brien, Don Usner and Wendy Young...thank you Jan...

It's a shame that a show like this can't tour, even if just regionally. I'm sure that there are many people who would love to see it who can't easily get to Los Alamos
    (not least myself).
    Just dreaming, though- I know how much time and effort goes into exhibits, and how risky they can be financially. But it would be a wonderful thing to see here in Tucson.

Mark, this show started as a show in Louisville Kentucky...it started as a one man show and ended as a three man show...from there it came to the Marion Center at Santa Fe University of Art and Design, before it closed...Kirk and I along with Philip Augustin, discussed doing the show again...well along came Los Alamos and the Mesa Library and Gallery, a year later June 3rd we opened the show with six photographers ('So Far from Heaven' was born)...the concept is to move the show with some new work and old work...artists may opt out and come back...we will see what happens...at this time we are looking to Southern New Mexico, but that does not mean that we can not go out of state again...it may even go back to Louisville at some time...and yes shipping a show is the hardest part...time will tell...Mark, thank you for your kind words...and in the words of my Mentor Al Weber we will see what happens....tks Jan
    Last edited by Jan Pietrzak; 6-Jul-2019 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Tin Can, The 2nd from the left.....but the online image is a pale pale comparison....& is also out of focus on my monitor. No image thumbnails can match the prints IMO

I think Kirk may have posted that image here some time ago.

Yes, all digital representations do not compare to a original print on a wall properly lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Tin Can, The 2nd from the left.....but the online image is a pale pale comparison....& is also out of focus on my monitor. No image thumbnails can match the prints IMO
    Tin Can