Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amber Plexiglas for Wet Plate Dork Box?

Re: Amber Plexiglas for Wet Plate Dork Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Thanks, I have some, but I want the structural rigidity of plexiglass. I've put Rubylith and the red plexiglass side-by-side, and they look pretty similar to the eye.
    I was suggesting covering plexiglass with rubylith (i.e. taping to the inside of clear plexiglass sheets.) But if you have the plexiglass version of rubylith then I guess that's even better.

One other suggestion: Acquire a cheap (like $5) spectroscope off amazon. The triangle-shaped version with the wavelength scale (it is surprisingly accurate). That way you can see the spectrum through the plexiglass itself and save yourself some time and effort over fog testing alone.

Btw love your signature line quote
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Yep, the Rubylith-over-clear-plexiglass was the second choice, but a distant second the more I thought about it.

I thought about getting one of those spectroscopes, but they probably used something like that to get those results that proved wrong for my purposes. Sometimes you just have to do a real test to get real results...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    whether this Amber plexi would be safe in average room light
    IMHO the question is in what conditions it is safe, what exposure time and what room light intensity.

I found a similar situation with DIY emulsion (blue only sensitive) for dry plates, I was using a red LED safe light source that it had to be safe, and it was, but when placing the emulsion just under the red light it fogged the plates.

So in that case I'd experiment by illuminating with a powerful torch through the amber plexy to find the safe limits, IMHO it should work, but I'd experiment with light intensity.