Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amber Plexiglas for Wet Plate Dork Box?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Eastern Seaboard Blues again...

Re: Amber Plexiglas for Wet Plate Dork Box?

I just ordered a 12x12-inch sample to test. But there's an event at the Center for Creative Photography on July 27 I'm trying to get it ready for, so I'm unsure if I have time to order, test, order a big sheet, and build the dark box. No matter how many times I tell myself I won't get trapped into doing things at the last minute... !
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I remember me and you using your amber top dark box shooting wetplate in Tombstone. Didn't we determine it would fog the plates in direct sunlight? I'd put a couple layers and colors and try a few experiments with your choices, before building.

The literature I've read suggests that some amber glass is safe (the stuff that is more orange than dark yellow) and some is not. I suspect you'll find that you need something darker - in the ruby lith red spectrum. I suggest you email Anton Orlov and ask him about his experience making his "ruby camera", the Clera.

http://thephotopalace.blogspot.com/2...nt-camera.html

Anton and I have been talking about it; he thinks the amber will probably work. There only seems to be one amber commonly available, the 2422, and one red, the 2423. The red I'm sure would work, but it's pretty dark. I've been reading everything I can find, but this is pretty much an unknown application, and the few who've experimented with it don't say which exact plexiglass they used.

I think the problem Garrett and I had in Tombstone was mostly just over-exposure. The red is working fine in my backyard darkroom, even when the plate is held up to direct sunlight coming through for ten seconds.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Wow, what a link!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The literature I've read suggests that some amber glass is safe (the stuff that is more orange than dark yellow) and some is not. I suspect you'll find that you need something darker - in the ruby lith red spectrum. I suggest you email Anton Orlov and ask him about his experience making his "ruby camera", the Clera.

http://thephotopalace.blogspot.com/2...nt-camera.html
    sin eater

Well, the numbers looked good on paper, but... the 2422 amber plexiglass doesn't work. I guess it's back to the red. Here's average room light through the amber on half a plate for 30 seconds compared to a regularly exposed plate. Can you tell which was fogged?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test 1s.jpg   Girls s.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Well, the numbers looked good on paper, but... the 2422 amber plexiglass doesn't work. I guess it's back to the red. Here's average room light through the amber on half a plate for 30 seconds compared to a regularly exposed plate. Can you tell which was fogged?
    That’s what I expected you’d discover.

Why not just use sheets of rubylith film over clear plexiglass? It's not that dark.

I have a good-sized stash of the stuff and can send you a piece if you want to test it out.

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pictoriographica
    .. because my wife is happy when I can cover my photography expenses!

Mark, I had the same reaction. What a perfect term for so many of us in this forum! Oh well, at least it is all self-inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Why not just use sheets of rubylith film over clear plexiglass? It's not that dark.

I have a good-sized stash of the stuff and can send you a piece if you want to test it out.

-Jason
    Thanks, I have some, but I want the structural rigidity of plexiglass. I've put Rubylith and the red plexiglass side-by-side, and they look pretty similar to the eye.