Thread: Extending collar for ground glass focusing loupe

Extending collar for ground glass focusing loupe

I'm laughably inept at DYI most of the time, though I often get by. for what it's worth I'll post my latest, knowing that someone else wil have a far more elegant solution and may enlighten me and, perhaps, others.

I purchased a Wista loupe, for ground glass focusing, on the auction site to replace my lost one, finding one at about half the usual price with perfect glass. Language being what it is, however, I mistook "Wista focusing loupe" for a loupe, like my former one, that had a focusing adjustment, whereas the seller was referring to using it for focusing. Well, the price was right so, when it arrived, and after finding the collar between the optics and GG too short, I set about to make an extension.

First I used measured paper strips, wrapped around the existing collar, to determine the correct extension. I found that the black plastic of a report cover I had bought for other DIY projects would be fine if I doubled the thickness. Rather than simply wrapping it around twice, I cut two strips, one just long enough to get around once without overlap, the second about a third-inch longer, I covered both sides of the first with black gaffers tape to make them less slippery, the inside to stay on the loupe, the outside to create a non-slip surface for the outer layer, since the glues I had handy didn't work. I applied another layer of tape on the outer later outside to hold it in place.

Seems to work and be adequately crush proof.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Extending collar for ground glass focusing loupe

And can you now see the actual grain of the gg?

Re: Extending collar for ground glass focusing loupe

Yes, that is what I was measuring for.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/