Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma: Loose Focus Adjustment

Sinar Norma: Loose Focus Adjustment

A friend just received a Sinar Norma 4x5 that's in beautiful condition. But, the focusing adjustments on both the front and back standards are a little loose. (They rock a little left to right.) Most cameras have a tightening adjustment, in addition to the focus knob. (e.g. a Toyo 4x5 G.) But, we're having trouble find something like that on this camera.

Does this require a technician to adjust and tighten, or are we missing something?

Photographer

Re: Sinar Norma: Loose Focus Adjustment

A guy named Philip Morgan had an online guide to adjusting Norma cameras, but I couldn't find it. If you are still looking on Monday (I'm tied up u til then, let me know and I'll dig it out of my files.
    Keith Pitman

Neil,

There is a small and replaceable piece of plastic like a small rack over which the standard displaces front and back, maybe this rack is worn. if plastic, better replace by a metal one - available also. I sold a Norma 2 months ago and just recall if it has a focusing knob in the front standard!

I have an address at Chicago from a person who has lots of Sinar parts, but don't remember the address, if you're in a hurry and don't have who to call I can search for you,

Cheers,

Renato

Neil and Keith,

I have a pdf with the instructions also in this PC, if you need it, drop me a line, it's the "The Rough Guide to Cleaning, Lubricating, and Adjusting the Sinar Norma"

Cheers,

As I recall (I'm on the road) there are two hidden set stews that hold the focus rod in place. Look again for the Morgan guide. Really great.

One word of warning. Those slots on the left and right of each assembly are NOT flat head screw parts, though they look like something you would unscrew. They are soft aluminum plugs and are held in by a set screw. Don't try to unscrew the plugs or they will distort and jam.

--Darin

Reviving this thread.

Same questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    As I recall (I'm on the road) there are two hidden set stews that hold the focus rod in place. Look again for the Morgan guide. Really great.

One word of warning. Those slots on the left and right of each assembly are NOT flat head screw parts, though they look like something you would unscrew. They are soft aluminum plugs and are held in by a set screw. Don't try to unscrew the plugs or they will distort and jam.

--Darin
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Things can be somewhat temperature dependent due to metal expansion/contraction issues; so don't over-tighten. You'll need miniature slotted screwdrivers as well as very small metric Allen wrenches for general fine-tuning of standards, but just miniature slotted-blade for focus tension itself. You want to carefully balance all three screws so the travel is perfectly linear rather than skewed without any bias toward one side or the other. My field kit contains 2.0 and 2.5 mm hex wrenches. The focus tightness screwdriver is .30 mm thick at the tip and should not be more than 2mm wide. You will need something larger to tighten the big clamping elements around the rail, like an electrician's screwdriver, but first you need to loosen the tiny Allen screws at the ends of the rail blocks. The fine focus gear mechanism has no secondary locking screws, so is more straightforward.

Good advice Drew. Thank you!

I have the tools. I don't have the eyes or dexterity of my youth. I found a few warnings in the mostly LFPF links below.

Butkus has the Owner's Manual posted and I do send him money.

Glennview is a friend, I constantly study his site.

I had a P and have a bad F, but a Norma is extraordinarily better than my Horseman and Big Linhofs.

Thanks Alan!

The Norma is very clean, it just needs a tweak, or use it as it. But I do fiddle and fettle.

Here are most of the links I found.

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/sinar/sinar.htm

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1536&bih=711

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post356695

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1304965

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post659781

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...l=1#post636767

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Things can be somewhat temperature dependent due to metal expansion/contraction issues; so don't over-tighten. You'll need miniature slotted screwdrivers as well as very small metric Allen wrenches for general fine-tuning of standards, but just miniature slotted-blade for focus tension itself. You want to carefully balance all three screws so the travel is perfectly linear rather than skewed without any bias toward one side or the other. My field kit contains 2.0 and 2.5 mm hex wrenches. The focus tightness screwdriver is .30 mm thick at the tip and should not be more than 2mm wide. You will need something larger to tighten the big clamping elements around the rail, like an electrician's screwdriver, but first you need to loosen the tiny Allen screws at the ends of the rail blocks. The fine focus gear mechanism has no secondary locking screws, so is more straightforward.
    Tin Can

Do this adjustment wrong and you'll destroy the Norma focus mechanism and more. Do NOT apply a wrench to the flats of the focus mechanism. If this is not done properly, serious damage is assured.

There are two set screws that must be loosened before the focus rack gear to pinion gear can be adjusted. Access to one screw is on the top of the gib which is covered by the sliding housing. Second set screw is behind one of the rail guide.

There are two common reasons why the focus is out of whack on the Norma, lubricant that have turned into adhesive clay and the camera is continued to be used with far more force than should be. Focus mechanism gears are damaged due to the above.

If time permits, I'll try and mark up some of the imaged taken during the Norma disassembly posted here some time ago to illustrate where these set screws are located and how the focus mechanism should be serviced.

Do not do anything to the Norma's focus mechanism unless you're absolute sure of what you're getting into. Once the knowledge and understanding of how it works, how it is made, how it is adjusted, it is not that difficult to clean-lube-adjust. Side treat is getting some appreciation of how beautifully made the innards of the Norma really are and how precise, well designed and hand built these Normas really are.

Bernice

Bernice,
    i'd greatly appreciate it if you would share this knowledge.
    My battered old Norma has a similar issue, and so far I have lacked the gumption to tackle it. In fact it will probably be September before I have a proper workspace to make this repair, but I'd be much more confident following in your footsteps. I think I'm not alone in this.
    Thanks in advance-