Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources for Stainless Trays?

umop episdn

Sources for Stainless Trays?

Anyone know of a source for stainless steel trays? I need a set that are 12” x 15” on the inside, no bigger. I have a small darkroom and I don’t have the counter for oversized trays. I'd even go for custom made if that's what it requires.

I’ve looked and searched as much as I can. Including restaurant supply warehouses. The trays they have (stainless steam pans) are too big or oddly sized.

I’ve got a set of Cesco plastic trays that are just about ideal. Great size, smooth coved edges inside and out and easy to handle. The problem with plastic however is they always retain some of the chemistry, especially the developer. The developer tray just gets darker and darker and no amount of cleaning takes all that oxidized residue out.

I've got some stainless steel 8x10 trays (from a restaurant supply) that are great. They wipe clean so quickly at the end of a print session and they don't absorb anything. I noticed the developer lasts longer and doesn't turn brown as quickly as it does in my plastic trays. I'd really like something for 11x14 paper. Even a glass dish/tray if it came down to it. Just something that isn’t porous to chemistry.

Re: Sources for Stainless Trays?

You need SS316 stainless steel for photo use.

Maybe a restaurant supply house, although the alloy might not be what you need.

The oxidization on plastic trays does no harm—it can be a badge of honor showing long hours perfecting your craft. John Cyr photographed developer trays used by some well known photographers. Some of them were truly awesome! https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...-tray-by-tray/

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

umop episdn

Thanks Richard. I do have some 8x10 stainless trays from a restaurant supply, see above. Been using those for eighteen months, really like them. The alloy isn't given yet no issues at all I've seen with photo chemistry. Another reason I'm looking for stainless trays in a 11x14 paper size is my plastic trays seem to have a problem with warmtone paper. The white paper edges stain so easily with this mottled, uneven, dingy yellow color. I have a suspicion it's oxidized developer residue and compounds stuck in the walls of the plastic transferring to the print. I'd really like something that won't retain chemistry and has the bonus of cleaning up quick.

If you search for "metal fabrication shops" in your area, you can find someone who will $make whatever you want.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Having used S/S trays, I never fell in love with them... I found that they cool too quickly, if the oxide layer is too thick, they can leave a smudge on prints, cleaning them is not always easy and care is required because they can rust under certain conditions, drying them properly takes some care, with solution in them they can be quite heavy, sometimes the edges are sharp, and when empty, banging them around sounds like Big Ben is ringing...

I think the Cesco's are nice (and stack!!!)

Wish I could help locating some for you. I ran the darkroom for a university for 24 yrs. We used the same set of SS trays (a little bigger than 11x14) for a minimum of 50 years. They were etched on the bottom with the university's initials HSC. The university changed its name to HSU in 1972, but I do not know when the university actually bought them. We were the 3rd university in the nation to have a photo program in an university art department, so the trays might have been from the 50s.

I started using the trays as a student in 1977. The trays had chemicals in them (dev/stop/fix) for 12 to 16 hours per day, seven days a week. When I retired, they looked not quite as good as new, but almost. Never any rust, easy to clean with a standard kitchen scrubber (sponge on one side, green scrubber on the other). It was only the developer trays that needed the a good scrubbing. I assume they were of a high quality SS.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

B&H has Arkay SS Trays 11x14, inside dimensions are 12x15, They're pricey though. Do a search for: B&H # ARTSS11143 MFR # 600652

I would suggest starting a new thread on the yellowing problem you are having as I doubt that it is caused by plastic trays. Sounds more like maybe insufficient fixing, or an agitation issue. Photos if possible would help

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I would suggest starting a new thread on the yellowing problem you are having as I doubt that it is caused by plastic trays. Sounds more like maybe insufficient fixing, or an agitation issue. Photos if possible would help
    +1. The Paterson tray that I have dedicated for developing 8x10 sheets has been heavily stained for many years, yet I've never had a problem with Ilford MG Warmtone, either RC or FB, nor any trouble in my very occasional tinkering with other-brand warmtone papers. Stainless trays could be an expensive non-solution to a problem that has some other cause.