Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my film ruined by airport security hand check?

Exclamation Is my film ruined by airport security hand check?

Hi there, looking for some expert/technical advice on light exposure in 4x5 film packs.

I have some leftover 4x5 sheet film (Ilford HP5, ISO 400, B&W) from a course whilst studying abroad. It costs a pretty penny so of course I wanted to take it home to the UK, as my home university have just bought a large format camera I could use the rest in.

I've just been through airport security with it for the first time. I know to never put film in checked luggage, remove it from your hand luggage and ask for a hand check because of the cumulative effect of x Rays.

The security person I asked for a hand check said it was fine to do a hand check on boxed film and knew what large format film was, the fact the bag can't be opened etc.

However, a different staff member did the actual check at the end of the line (Montreal YUL airport) and had no idea what she was dealing with. She opened the first lid, then removed the second cardboard 'lid' underneath, thus removing the bag from the box completely. The bag wasn't taped (I am aware this is my error) and so the 'flap' of the bag wasn't sealed and was hanging away from the bag a little at about a 45 degree angle. There is the usual 2 pieces of cardboard that covers the top and bottom of the film stack within the bag.

The security staff member said she would have to open the bag (even though I explained what her colleague had said) and so I said no, send it through the X day scanner.

I've read on various forums that ISO 400 B&W film should be okay with only one scan, but can be ruined, hence accepting the hand check.

However, I'm worried that the film with have been ruined with light exposure from the un-sealed bag during the hand check. I was under the impression that the bag is lightproof, so would only the edges perhaps be ruined? Or the whole surface of every piece? There's approximately 19 sheets of film left.

Re: Is my film ruined by airport security hand check?

Just develop one sheet, or one from the top and one from the bottom and see if they are fogged.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just develop one sheet, or one from the top and one from the bottom and see if they are fogged.
    Agree with Bob. Running it through the scanner wouldn't have hurt it, but exposing the inner bag could well have. Shoot and process the top and bottom sheet and see what you have. And, let us know. I'm curious.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I pack my film inside my checked luggage. I have a black bag x-ray proof. It never gave me trouble. Xray is not that bad on film. It is bad on xray film.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I think the best approach is to just not say anything and make it go through the X-ray. I usually take it out from the bag and it it on a tray with the laptop or the phone so that in the off chance they need to re-scan the bag the film doesn’t go in twice. It will be fine. If you ask any special treatment as usual you expose yourself to worse damage.
    I’m sorry to say I have no expectations when it comes to TSA personnel. And that’s putting it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Xray is not that bad on film. It is bad on xray film.

X-ray film is affected the same way as standard film. Carry on scanners are fine on xray film the same as other film.

It's ruined send it to me!!
    no seriously I usually just ask for hand inspection and arrive early for the flight

have had boxes of 4x5 320TXP make multiple trips through security scans (national and international) with no ill effects that I cld see. any hand inspection I've asked for involved swabbing of the film, and bag the film was in. I may ask for hand inspection if I remember to, but if they say no, I send it through.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I agree with Bob. You might only find out if you develop an example. I am also curious about what the result is.

Quote Originally Posted by basil1997 View Post

"The bag wasn't taped (I am aware this is my error) and so the 'flap' of the bag wasn't sealed and was hanging away from the bag a little at about a 45 degree angle. There is the usual 2 pieces of cardboard that covers the top and bottom of the film stack within the bag.

However, I'm worried that the film with have been ruined with light exposure from the un-sealed bag during the hand check. I was under the impression that the bag is lightproof, so would only the edges perhaps be ruined? Or the whole surface of every piece? There's approximately 19 sheets of film left.
    I use Ilford FP4 plus and Ortho Plus in 4 by 5. I just checked to see how light-proof the plastic bag is -- using a high intensity bulb behind the bag, in the darkroom, and the bag let no light through. The flap is quite long, so at 45 degree angle, I doubt that any light leaked past the flap.

My expectation is that the film is fine.