Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

Re: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

A beautiful lens built of finest materials at a time of highest quality control at Kodak. But, If the OP thinks that he will be taking landscape photos with any normal lens on an 8x10 that is focused at infinity he will have a little learning to do (unless he is standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon.) I would suggest he look at some good depth of field software to see what to expect. I have the 12 and a 14 for my 8x10 but my landscape shots are often taken with a late 240mm Xenar (which the numbers will say does not cover 8x10 but stopped down and focused at an appropriate distance does an excellent job.)

Drew Wiley

My older brother sold Commercial Ektar lenses along with view camera gear in the 60's, and explained their 3 "grades" of quality to me; but I was still too young to appreciate any of that, and simply wanted a 35mm camera; so he gave me an early Honeywell Pentax for my 17th birthday, and that's how it all began. Couldn't afford to buy one myself.

300mm f6.3 Ektar 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

300mm f6.3 Ektar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Today I made an offer on this one on Ebay, and it was accepted. I will forward-mount it on a Norma board, to use with my Norma shutters. I have a new interest in 5x7 and this will go on my 5x7 and 8x10 Normas. I also have had the 300mm F4.5 Schneider Xenar in barrel for many decades.

Glad to have this Ektar!
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 4-Jul-2019 at 14:47.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Here with plenty of imperfections is an 11X14 sheet I did today with the Deardorff V11 field camera and a sheet of ASA25 Efke film. The lens was centered nearly perfectly and focused with no movements at all. This is done with an ordinary (if there is such a thing) 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar lens. 1/10th second by Acme #4 shutter and tray developed in PyroCat HD. I had to scan the film in an Epson V700 scanner, so this is 4 scans sewed together quickly. There are imperfections for sure, but what we're after are the corners. It exceeded expectations, as they almost always do.
    Last edited by Jim Galli; 8-Jul-2019 at 09:31.

For what it's worth I use an 8.5 inch Commercial Ektar on 8x10. Even it covers edge to edge, granted, with little or no room for movements. And there is softness and distortion at the corners but that's a look I like anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Punker View Post
    For what it's worth I use an 8.5 inch Commercial Ektar on 8x10. Even it covers edge to edge, granted, with little or no room for movements. And there is softness and distortion at the corners but that's a look I like anyway.
    Worth a lot. That's helpful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you can't master your fear, get a 12" plasmat type.
    Another choice is to get the 14" commercial, Yousuf Karsh used it extensively por 8x10" portraiture, his favourite lens, for good reasons I guess.

5x7 Norma 300mm Kodak 6.3 Commercial by Nokton48, on Flickr

New lens in the fold, arrived today. 300mm F6.3 Kodak Commercial Ektar (in barrel mount). Useful with Sinar Norma Shutter, shown ready to go on 5x7 Norma. I had a board that works with this lens. Lens is close to mint and I love it.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 15-Jul-2019 at 16:26.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain