Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

Hello,

I'm putting together my first 8x10 kit, and am looking for a lens. The Commercial Ektar 12" is one I've seen available, and has been recommended to me. However, I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that it only has 56 degrees of coverage, which would mean it won't cover 8x10 when focused at infinity. However, when I stopped by Catlabs recently, the guy there was sure it would work. I need it to cover at infinity, as I shoot landscapes, so if anyone knows which is correct, it would be appreciated.

Re: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

The Kodak Reference Handbook lists the 12" Commercial Ektar as an 8x10 lens.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Thanks for that source! If it is correct, the lens will work for me.

It's a Tessar lens. You can count on all Tessar lenses covering a bit more than their focal length. Therefore, a 12 inch Tessar will always cover 8x10, regardless of maker.

Also, you might be a bit confused on the degrees of coverage and what that translates to in image circle.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Hello,

I'm putting together my first 8x10 kit, and am looking for a lens. The Commercial Ektar 12" is one I've seen available, and has been recommended to me. However, I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that it only has 56 degrees of coverage, which would mean it won't cover 8x10 when focused at infinity. However, when I stopped by Catlabs recently, the guy there was sure it would work. I need it to cover at infinity, as I shoot landscapes, so if anyone knows which is correct, it would be appreciated.
    It definitely covers 8x10 with quite a bit of room to spare. Its a fantastic lens, rendering out-of-focus areas beautifully. Its one of my favorite lenses.

12" f6.3 Commercial Ektar was designed for 8x10, 53 degrees at f6.3 and 64 degrees at f16. It is not just a Tessar, it is a very, very carefully designed and made Tessar with low dispersion Lanthium glass with excellent color correction. The color balance was originally intended for Kodachrome color transparency films. They have excellent definition and resolution with lower contrast and excellent tonal and contrast rendition on film, mostly opposite of the high contrast look of modern multi coated Plasmat and similar lenses. The other goodness of these Kodak Ektars is their out of focus rendition.

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00346/00346.pdf

One of my all time fave LF lenses for all sheet film formats. Your specific lens may and can vary in actual performance, do the required lens testing to verify if the specific example is any good before accepting.

Bernice

I am currently using this exact lens on my 8x10. Here is an example result from 2 weekends ago (pardon the jpg compression)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4BB736DB-AA2B-4E91-AEC0-8AAA63F9592B.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	192976

Another result on Provia 100

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A02D13A-64B8-41AD-9ECA-989A2C7CBA13.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	192978
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

hmm, I'm confused now. If it has only 53 degrees of coverage wide open, if my math is correct, then it only has an 11.97" image circle at 6.3, which is different than the 380mm listed by that site, and 11.97" is less than the diagonal of 8x10 (12.8")... have any of you with this lens focused at infinity with it?

Ethan, modern, not ancient, f/4.5 Tessars cover ~ 110% of their focal length when stopped down. f/6.3 Tessars cover ~ 65 degrees stopped down. If you want to shoot wide open, no modern 12" lens of normal construction (in this case, not wide angle) will cover 8x10.

People have been using 12"/6.3 Commercial Ektars on 8x10 with good results ever since the lens was introduced. Stop being so afraid of making a mistake. If the price is right, get the lens and don't look back. If you can't master your fear, get a 12" plasmat type.