Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current state of instant film?

Current state of instant film?

I've been searching but not sure I have a clear picture what's going on as of now with peel-apart instant film.

Yes, I know, the big players (polaroid and fuji) have ceased production. I have some fp100c but once the remaining stock is gone, it's gone.

Then there was the Impossible Project which is now defunct?

But led to New55? Which seemed to be in production for about a year then ceased? Though I see some on The (Famous) Large & Small Format Photography Co. for $75 for a box of 5 (ouch). Is this remaining stock or is it still being produced?

Then a group that apparently left Impossible (and New55?) to start One Instant and do something compatible with fp100c but with one shot per pack? So they've abandoned the relatively simple single sheet format to re-engineer a more complicated pack format that will only hold 1 sheet??

Which brings me to the original question I was searching for an answer to: Is there any currently produced peel-apart instant film I can use with my 4x5 or medium format cameras? Will we ever see steady production again, even if on a smaller scale? Or are these people just getting our hopes up while they play with "new shiny things" until they get it working, then abandon it for the next new shiny when they get bored with it?

I'm a fairly patient fellow and understand these things take time, but I kind of feel like I'm being toyed with here. Either way, I'm pretty confused, anybody have a better idea what's actually going on?

Re: Current state of instant film?

Quote Originally Posted by gnd2 View Post
    Then there was the Impossible Project which is now defunct?
    The Impossible Project is now Polaroid Originals, still making integral film. No capability nor any plans to make peel-apart film.

But led to New55? Which seemed to be in production for about a year then ceased? Though I see some on The (Famous) Large & Small Format Photography Co. for $75 for a box of 5 (ouch). Is this remaining stock or is it still being produced?
    Ask Sam Hiser. To follow his progress, keep an eye on his website for updates:

https://famousformat.com/

Then a group that apparently left Impossible (and New55?) to start One Instant and do something compatible with fp100c but with one shot per pack? So they've abandoned the relatively simple single sheet format to re-engineer a more complicated pack format that will only hold 1 sheet??
    Florian Kaps is using his Kickstarter funds to package peel-apart film made from leftover Polaroid 20x24 project supplies into individual boxes because he can't remotely afford to build the machinery needed to make real packs. Whether he'll have anything to sell once that runs out is anybody's guess.

Which brings me to the original question I was searching for an answer to: Is there any currently produced peel-apart instant film I can use with my 4x5 or medium format cameras?
    No, not really. EDIT: To be clear, Famous Format is obviously selling film that's a little different from the last batch of New55. But as the shop page says on the bottom, "assembled by hand". That means small quantities, high price. If you read the website, Sam Hiser evidently has ideas for how to break out of that limitation. It remains to be seen whether he can raise the necessary investment and, if so, sell the product at a price low enough to remain viable.

Will we ever see steady production again, even if on a smaller scale?
    I think Sam Hiser's New55 successor is the likeliest bet, but no guarantees.

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed reply. Not very encouraging but still very much appreciated.

I looked up Polaroid Originals and it looks like they've gotten things pretty well sorted out and rolling. That's pretty awesome, except that I personally have no interest in the integrated films. Seems like it wouldn't be much of a leap to single sheet pull-apart.

Thanks for the heads-up on famousformat.com, I had only found the storefront. I'll be thrilled if they can get things going again.

One advantage for those that have NOS Fujifilm FP film in hand are the many deals on Polaroid style processors.

I just bought NOS in box Mamiya RB67 Pro SD Polaroid Land Pack Film Holder for a low price. It also came with film as they tested it.

Perhaps one day Pack Film will be made again. Plan ahead...

or not

I have no film or processors for sale at any price.

Fp100C45 and FP100c are still viable and will be for several years past expiration date.

Even 2009-vintage Polaroid Type 55 is still usable, and far better than new55 ever was or will be, most likely.

There are several sizes of Instax film, up to medium format really. But no one makes a decent camera for the type, with a removable lens. Only little pink "hello kitty" type cameras and stupid LOMO plastic junk. I'd love a Hassalblad or other good camera type that could shoot their Instax Wide.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    There are several sizes of Instax film, up to medium format really. But no one makes a decent camera for the type, with a removable lens. Only little pink "hello kitty" type cameras and stupid LOMO plastic junk. I'd love a Hassalblad or other good camera type that could shoot their Instax Wide.
    I bought a kickstarter 'Magy' thing that can be used on some Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Leica M cameras..It uses the instax new square film.. the photos are reversed side-to-side.. but the results are far better than using one of their plastic cameras and they will work with strobe and flash setups.. I love mine - it's super fun

I have been using the Mercury Camera Instax Wide back for 4X5 International backs and have been very pleased with it and the IQ of Instax films when exposed with a good quality lens. https://mercurycamera.com/ Unlike Polaroid backs, the film plane of the Instax is set back 35mm. Mercury provides a ground glass viewer, which is exchanged for the film back for exposure. For rangefinder/viewfinder use with a TRF Crown Graphic, I use a 135mm lens and have two sets of stops installed for use with and without the Instax back. The shortest lens that can be used with the Instax on the Crown is 90mm, about normal on Instax wide.

Good to know Neal.

I see from your link Mercury also offers a 2X3 back, but Instax image area is 2.4X 3.9". So perhaps a cutoff area. The 2X3 back may fit a Mamiya RB67 and MAY have a wider image area on that specific camera's gate.

I like that both Mercury backs are now available.

The other issue is Fujifilm. On B&H they have a low supply of FUJIFILM INSTAX Wide Monochrome Instant Film (10 Exposures, Expiration 09/2019) ...more coming...

Further, B&H sell monochrome Instax only in 10 packs at a higher price than color. Color Instax the more you buy the better the discount. 100 are 40% per sheet cheaper than B&W.

Fujifilm makes one worry about product availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I have been using the Mercury Camera Instax Wide back for 4X5 International backs and have been very pleased with it and the IQ of Instax films when exposed with a good quality lens. https://mercurycamera.com/ Unlike Polaroid backs, the film plane of the Instax is set back 35mm. Mercury provides a ground glass viewer, which is exchanged for the film back for exposure. For rangefinder/viewfinder use with a TRF Crown Graphic, I use a 135mm lens and have two sets of stops installed for use with and without the Instax back. The shortest lens that can be used with the Instax on the Crown is 90mm, about normal on Instax wide.

Please take any further discussion of Instax to the Lounge - even the largest size (Wide) falls short of our LF size criterion.