Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: LF Purity

Re: LF Purity

Unproductivity of LF medium leads to very personal approach. Countless possibilities are distilled in to very few frames in comparison with mobile or digital medium. And these few are definitely ultimately personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Unproductivity of LF medium leads to very personal approach. Countless possibilities are distilled in to very few frames in comparison with mobile or digital medium. And these few are definitely ultimately personal.
    But beyond LF "unproductivity advantage" LF has other unique features, and also other drawbacks. Anyway IMHO it is true that "Unproductivity of LF" many times imposes a more personal approach, but of course a good photographer may sport that "very personal approach" even when he shots with an smartphone.

Also "Definitely ultimately personal", I feel happy when approaching a subject with a view camera.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Weird is good and entertaining, aint it?! Always amazes me (but really shouldn't) to read complaints about how silly or unneccesary a thread is by people participating in the same thread -- people do not have to participate!
    Naaaah, I wasn't complainin' and have been entertained by the 8pages of weird. Frank Zappa in the background is a good background music to this thread
    I'd say purity >> clearheadedness, cause its easy to forget to do something really simple and then the exposure will be FUBAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    IDK Vaidotas
    I think any artform leads to personal approaches whether it is organic based or electronics based or a combination of the two. Its hard to be free of baggage when one is expressing oneself, and that baggage makes things complicated or .. not.

I'll stick with the purity of light...especially filtered through centuries of redwood growth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redwood.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That’s a nice example of purity of light, Vaughn.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Thanks -- uncompressed and wild!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, almost like being there. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'll stick with the purity of light...especially filtered through centuries of redwood growth.
    The redwood filter is a key part of my kit too, up here in Wash. state. ;^)

I love the details throughout the grove's wide contrast range.

Is your "purity of light," when you find it, easier or more difficult to manage?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Is your "purity of light," when you find it, easier or more difficult to manage?
    Difficult. There is so little of it to manage in a redwood grove.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    The redwood filter is a key part of my kit too, up here in Wash. state. ;^)

I love the details throughout the wide contrast range.

The hardest part can be to stop just marveling at the light and actually setting up the camera. I have been enjoying the 'redwood filter' photographically for over 40 years. First making silver gelatin prints, I began looking for a way to best express the light I was experiencing. I found that carbon printing comes the closest so far.

In this image, the light falling behind the redwood is coming directly onto the background trees (no clouds). There is a drop-off behind the redwood 20 or so feet down to Bull Creek, so the sky is open behind the redwood before the giants begin again, and behind me is an incredible grove of more ancients. The 8x10 film was given what others might consider to be N+2 or N+3 development or something like that, but what I consider normal. I let the light expand as it wanted (thus my 'no compression' post earlier).

The carbon printing process will reproduce whatever one has on the negative -- of course, one has to be careful that the light doesn't throw too big of a party and block themselves up. What does not show on the screen is the raised relief of the image and the redwood being physically separated from the backlight by rising above the paper surface.

PS -- for scale the center redwood is probably 20 feet in diameter...give of take a few feet.