Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AC, Venting, ideas for a Darkroom Shed?

Re: AC, Venting, ideas for a Darkroom Shed?

If the subdivision regs don't allow window units, mount the window unit in a box INSIDE the shed with only the back end sticking out. That way, it won't really be visible. If needed, you could put shutters to hide it, and open them when in use. As noted earlier, the smallest unit should suffice. L

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    The big stink in a conventional black and white darkroom, the one some people spend hundreds dollars trying to conquer is, 99% of the time, acetic acid fume from the stop bath. Vinegar is just another name for acetic acid and it has the same nose-wrinkling smell. Rather than bring acetic acid in any form into my darkroom I use Fotospeed SB50 Odorless Indicator Stop Bath which is citric acid based; looks like acetic, works like acetic, same indicator, but no smell.
    Oddly I don't find Ilford Stop Bath off-putting. Fixer yes, though I wouldn't say "off-putting" more like "noticeable". Granted, TF-5 is quite smelly (I only use it for film at the moment as a result).

Selenium though is definitely something I want ventilation for, along with RA-4. I haven't figured it out yet but I do like the idea of being able to cover the vents.

https://www.bismanonline.com/2015_ic...ed_from_adview

No, I am not selling this. Ice fishing houses come in all sizes and types. Some of these luxury items or even bare bones types would make good darkrooms - if not a home.

Take it with you when you travel. Lower it to the ground just as you would on lake ice and you are solid. Mix the chemistry and start developing your film and making prints. Don't have to wait til you get home to be sure you have the shot.

It is amazing to me that some spend well over $40,000 for a place to drink beer and tell lies all winter.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

(First that ice fishing shack thing would be epic for wet plate!)

So hmm, I ordered a Doran louver from BH (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Darkroom.html) and while the instructions indicates it should have a pipe connection, one didn't come with it.

Anyone use one of these for a darkroom like this? I used my phone to shine light through it and it mostly blocked light. I managed to get some light leaks at a certain angle. I kinda thought I would use a pipe here pointing downwards to avoid any leaks.

Thoughts?

I use one, no light leaks

I put it in the darkroom door to aid air exchange
    Tin Can

Whoa thanks for the wicked quick reply! Yes I was thinking of either the door as well. I was planning on using a blackout curtain so also though of putting it off to the side under my workbench. That'll help cover up any light leaks if there were any and also let me use a curtain over the door.

The remaining issue is there's no vents up near the roof. AC will take care of that in the summer but in between that'll certainly be a hot spot. I thought about putting a vent up high for that reason (i want to keep my fan'ed louver above the chemical trays though)

When I want more air movement, I change my HVAC to constant fan, which evens things out well, just remember to turn it back to auto later
    Tin Can

Even though your post is from a few years ago, your project of creating a darkroom shed is still fascinating. Designing a space that caters to your photography needs is a great idea. Considering the need for air conditioning, you might have explored ac repair Hamilton services for insights on cooling solutions.

Your layout plan seems detailed and well-organized, ensuring efficient workflows for different tasks. Your use of LED strip lights for safelights and tube-style lights for working lights is smart. Addressing water and power connections, especially for the AC and fridge, is essential.
    Last edited by NoelScott; 18-Aug-2023 at 06:52.