Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

Hello To all.
    General Inquiry as follows:

I checked the forum through, only once. I would like to inquire where to purchase exposed sheet film for 5x7 and 5x4?

I need it for 4 reasons. (Encouraging and discouraging inputs /opinion no problem, are welcome)

1) For people who might harass me on public space, to indicate that I am not a terrorist and I simply cannot run and duck with LF equipment. ( I am Asian/Chinese/Filipino 5'4" scrawny and male)

2) To illuminate people if need be, that I am using and jumping into LF, 54 and 57 and I simply will only take 4 or less than 6 sheets of whichever film I take, on site hence the setup and slow process of LF is not what people think, machine gunning with a LF camera is not possible.

3) To provide contrast to dimwits who will tell me to buy a digital MF or similar, i.e. I am learning for personal knowledge and experience how sheet film behaves and that technology is a matter of some physics, optics and chemistry.

4) to practice loading 54 and 57 (I can always try and purchase the cheapest B&W at BnH. ( I live in Jersey City, N.J.)

If not then I have no choice but to purchase a set of 10 for 57 and 54 sheet film, and waste at least two sheets.

If anyone has an idea, I am willing to pay for postage. (Jumping to 54 and 57, currently doing 69 on horseman convertible)

Thank you for any response.

Max.

P.S.

Also I would like to add that, since I read some of the threads from 2004 regarding people harassing and assuming LF and photography in general as suspicious,

I wonder if it helps if you look puny and everyone considers you to be a minor or no threat at all, since I made the mistake of using a 35mm on tripod and took pictures of the Holland Tunnel in 2016 and someone called the PATH police. In 5 minutes two police officers , one in a cruiser and other in a patrol car came up to me.

Gave my id checked the routine went through my stuff and was told to stay near the lighted areas or gas station. I was out at around 8 in the evening almost fall.

It was my first time, I thought I was about to be arm-bent face on the pavement then thrown at the back of a cruiser.

I've never had any sort of interaction with any law enforcement unit in this manner until August 28, 2016 to be exact, around 8:40 - 9:30 PM.
    I had just returned to shooting film and presently I have mustered enough guts to go 6x9 then to 57 and 54.

The pictures are not good I was doing bulb with a pentax honeywell, arista 100 b&w

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55060007.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	192881

Name:	55060013.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	192882

Re: exposed film

Buy a box and waste a sheet practicing loading it. Once you factor in postage it will be the cheapest way.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Perhaps buy some way-outdated film for cheap on eBay, or on this forum or Photrio?

when you start loading n shooting, you will make plenty of mistakes. use those mistakes for practice.

one sheet is not such a big sacrifice to practice loading.

In my limited experience the police know the laws pertaining to photography much better than the average citizen. I have had several pleasant chats with officers from various jurisdictions—a couple of them had suggestions for new places to photograph that I hadn't thought of. I have never been directly harassed by anyone, but have noticed lately that in rural areas people tend to be more suspicious than they used to be. (This could devolve into a political discussion which I won't go into). Maybe go out with a friend for moral support?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I have no idea what you are carrying on about, Max. Just take your camera and shoot some film. Most of that stuff you seem concerned about rarely happens.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

P.S. running and ducking when/if confronted by anyone is the wrong idea unless there is a real threat of potential violence. Much better to explain, make a new friend and, if required, stand up for your rights. Photography is not a crime. Irrational neurotic “fear” is not grounds for suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    [...] have noticed lately that in rural areas people tend to be more suspicious than they used to be.
    I'm a former rural guy. Lived on 5,500 acres of beautiful rolling land 600' up overlooking the Mississippi River. My driveway was 1.9 miles long. Once a guy pulled up to the side of the drive and asked gruffly, "You ain't surveying are ya?" I sure don't blame his suspicion. I just said, "Just taking record pictures of my land. As far as you can see is mine. Stop by the house at the end of the road for a beer later if you like." Good folks here. I love Minnesota. Our Chief Sheriff would slowly drive around the property just to see the wildlife. Gosh, those were good days.

Name:	farm2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	192889

Foamer

Re: Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

You don't need to practice with both 4x5 and 5x7--the holders work exactly the same way. It sounds like you've already shot some sheet film. Wasn't that successful? If so, you don't need practice. If not, you have your practice sheet already. As for the train tunnel, I've been taking train photos for the past 20 years. It's well known in the railfan circles that the PATH police are absolutely nuts. They hassle everybody. As long as you're on public property there is nothing they can do to you. Just stay cool, and eventually they'll leave you alone. Don't act sneaky, such as running and hiding. I've not had any real problems with any police in the past 10 years, and I photo at night a lot.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I have no idea what you are carrying on about, Max. Just take your camera and shoot some film. Most of that stuff you seem concerned about rarely happens.
    I know it will burst your bubble that you are doing something edgy, but your concerns are overblown. Just go out and take some pictures.
    Last edited by faberryman; 29-Jun-2019 at 14:54.