Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Format

Re: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Form

You have quite the project ahead of you! I have exhausted my knowledge of camera restoration! Others here have actually done it! Good luck!

I have a Eastman View No.2 (5x7), that I enjoy using -- fortunately, I bought mine in working condition and with new bellows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7b.jpg   EV2_5x7a.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Form

One of the issues I'm runniong into is being able to collapse the whole thing down. One part of that is the stiff bellows. But also, the riasing gear mechanism for the front of the camera slips and will not hold it's position.

The gear looks a bit worn but I won't be able to tell until I get it apart. Is this a common for this system? The slippage seems like a malfunctioning element I guess.

With the lack of fully collapsing too, it's hard to tell where the hinge should be pulling apart the lower rails but I guess I'll figure that out once the cumbersome bellows are out of the way.

The camera is marked "27" at the back by the base.

Is this in reference to anything in particular? I saw other Eastman No 1's (though the examples online are limited for this particular model) had similar spaces with different numbering. I can't find a serial number though which I did see on other cameras as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The lensboard seems to suggest that the lens was not the original for the camera and that the original lensboard was modified to take the lens.

You will find many threads here on camera restoration -- including sources of replacement parts...for the handle, for example.

Remove the GG from the camera back and wash in warm soapy water.

How are the bellows? Most likely will have pinholes at a minimum. Replacement bellows are available, tho some take the effort to make their own. Are you familiar with testing bellows? In a totally dark room, put a film/plate holder in the back, remove the lensboard, stretch the bellows out and stick a flashlight through the front and check for light leaking out the bellows (and other places in the camera.)
    Thanks for the info on the lensboard. In the case of this camera, if I was considering replacing the lens, I should then look for lenses at either the 8.5x6.5 coverage or 5x7? I'm sure this boils down to preference as most of this seems to, but I'd prbabkly opt for larger negatives and use the camera natively as intended. But that's for the future. I was considering using my Aero Ektar as a lens for it and adapting that. I'm sure I'll have questions about lenses further on as the various options out there are overwhelming and how they function etc.

I will definitely look through the archives on here as well. Thanks for the direction with that.

Good to hear about the ground glass. Nothing abrasive seems to be the norm.

The bellows are rough. Very stiff and in need of cleaning and softening up (if possible) or outright replacing. I;'ll know more once I get it apart.

You have quite the project ahead of you! I have exhausted my knowledge of camera restoration! Others here have actually do it! Good luck!

I have a Eastman View No.2 (5x7), that I enjoy using -- fortunately, I bought mine in working condition and with new bellows.
    A working condition one seems easier but like I said, the ease of form of this seemed like a good first time DIY restoration project.

Gearing for the front rise -- on mine, once I have the height I want, I pull the knob outward and that locks it into place.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Gearing for the front rise -- on mine, once I have the height I want, I pull the knob outward and that locks it into place.
    The lock works when pulling out but the fromt rise still slips. I definitely need to diagnose it more. Hopefully it isn't something too extreme.

I'm in the midst of taking it apart and the bellows definitely need replacing. I'll do some searching but anyone have any resources for bellows? I have the wooden frames that were attached to but do new ones come with the frames? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMcGee View Post
    The camera is marked "27" at the back by the base.

Is this in reference to anything in particular? I saw other Eastman No 1's (though the examples online are limited for this particular model) had similar spaces with different numbering. I can't find a serial number though which I did see on other cameras as well.
    Extension rails with the same number (same batch?) will fit this camera, other numbers might (will) need adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMcGee View Post
    I'm in the midst of taking it apart and the bellows definitely need replacing. I'll do some searching but anyone have any resources for bellows? I have the wooden frames that were attached to but do new ones come with the frames? Thanks!
    Custom Bellows in the UK.
    You need to send them the old bellows, preferably in the frames.
    They made a replacement bellows for my Eastman 33A 5x7, and it's beautiful.
    My bellows cost about $250 + shipping (both ways)... I imagine yours would be about the same, maybe a bit more.

Les

Agree w/above. If your bellows are toast, you can get them done while you are doing other tweaks. Also, if the lens is in the shutter, I'd have that CLA'd appropriately....you probably could deliver it to Carol in Whittier (if you have the time) - she does excellent work.

I have no idea if it's worth repairing the broken base piece....I'd probably would spring to create a new one (more reliable). Would you tackle that or rather farm out and have someone else do this ? Indeed, patience is one thing, but having the appropriate tools (+ knowing how to use them well) to accomplish such, it's something else again.

Wish I had the time to do my #1 (5x7). It's all in pieces :>). My Front SDT (for rise) has different gearing.

Les