Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Format

Re: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Form

yeah, the misalignement actually is almost immediate when loading it onto the rear base block smaller part. Leading into the hinge there's a definite kick that makes it worse. I didn't remove the rails from the baseplate, but I did from the extension rails. So that may be on me. Wishing I eleft those alone at this point.

Re: Eastman View No. 1 Acquired & Looking to Refurbish it but I'm A Newbie to Lg Form

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    There are two rails, one on each side. If you take one out and flip it and put it back in, does alignment get better? It would have been correct when it left the factory. Something changed.
    Smart thinking. OP, try it.

In my 40 years of programming and parsing labeled variables inverting the source remedied most issues. That is what Mr. Galli is addressing. Try it.

It's been awhile as I hit a snag with the rail gears not being able to be properly aligned. In the meantime, I found an Eastman View 2 which I got to attempt to use for parts for the first camera, but looking at it, I may just refurbish it instead and use the new bellows on this camera funny enough, I think it's a whole format camera as the ground glass from the Eastman No. 1 fits into the rear standard perfectly.

The front standard is larger though and I'm not sure if this means it's a different format? It also came with an interesting bellows attachment that reduced the actual frame to 5x7 I believe. I'll post pictures shortly but any thoughts on why the front standard is larger than the No.1 if the rear is the sme size as the No. 1?

Here are some photos of the "new" Eastman No. 2 as well as some comparisons to the Eastman No. 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.56 PM.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	199273

This is the beat-up bellows with a weird insert to reduce the image size to 5x7 I believe. This was mounted to the interior of the rear standard but wasn't actually attached so I just pulled it out. Definitely looks to be custom.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.05 PM.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	199274

Here's all of the parts included and seperated. A modified back with a 5x7 ground glass piece that won't stay in place is shown there.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.30 PM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	199275

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.40 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	199276

Both sides of the rear standard frame have holes like some sort of hardware is missing. I do see that the level isn't present but not sure what the other ones indicate.

continued in next post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.48 PM.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	199277

You can see that the front standard is smaller on the No. 1 but the next photo shows the rear standard is the same size as the No.1 which is why i asked previously about the importance of the front standards size. I guess being new to this, I'm confused if froint standards were, well, I guess, standard?

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	199278

As said the rear frames are the same size.

I'm not sure how I would use the bellows I had made if the front is a different size. Any ideas on that?

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.55.16 PM.jpg 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	199279

And finally, the focusing rails aren't the same size.

Am I looking at a cobbled together kit? Maybe whole format rear standard matched up with a larger front standard (8x11 maybe?) with a modified bellows to shoot 5x7?
    Last edited by HoopsMcGee; 11-Jan-2020 at 21:50.

Foamer

Yes, I think it's a Franken Kamera.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Yes, I think it's a Franken Kamera.

Kent in SD
    Thanks Kent. Not sure how to proceed lol.

Les

Name:	V03_6427.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	199280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V03_6429.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	199281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V03_6430.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	199282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V03_6432.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	199283

These shots are basically for instruction. The thinner block (if you flip it) you'll find the serial number. The last shot shows two pieces, which are not joined together at this time, the left part...or focusing rail if you will....the outside dimensions are 6 1/4 x 9 3/4 inches.
    Perhaps this helps ?

Les