Re: Loupes Again, What Works for You

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlNaglerAsAKid.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	192848

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I wonder how many of us used our magnifying glasses for burning to death ants and spiders as little boys? I can't remember doing that, but I probably did. Maybe that explains some of our old-age karma.

During the beginning of this view camera stuff in the early 1980's, tried all sorts of "viewing aids" from every ground glass fresnel lens available at that time, Sinar binocular viewers, bellows with magnifier, short loupe, long loupe, 2x loupes to 20x loupes (these were not good at all), hand held magnifiers and just about every GG magnifying gadget available. In the end, the most often used is a Horseman 7x loupe with a sting that can be hung on the camera and a hand held magnifier made using two +10 diopters 67mm (normally used as a close up attachment for camera lens, 67mm being a odd size lowering the cost of them) in a double"anastigmat" configuration.

Loupes for inspecting film post process is a very different requirement and a LOT more demanding than what is needed for a GG focusing aid.

Bernice

I don't have 2 +10 diopters close up lenses at hand.

As I recall they have glass thicker than the mount making 2 impossible to stack directly.

How do you use them together?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    During the beginning of this view camera stuff in the early 1980's, tried all sorts of "viewing aids" from every ground glass fresnel lens available at that time, Sinar binocular viewers, bellows with magnifier, short loupe, long loupe, 2x loupes to 20x loupes (these were not good at all), hand held magnifiers and just about every GG magnifying gadget available. In the end, the most often used is a Horseman 7x loupe with a sting that can be hung on the camera and a hand held magnifier made using two +10 diopters 67mm (normally used as a close up attachment for camera lens, 67mm being a odd size lowering the cost of them) in a double"anastigmat" configuration.

Loupes for inspecting film post process is a very different requirement and a LOT more demanding than what is needed for a GG focusing aid.

Bernice

The made in USA Edmund 9X loupe arrived just now. No case, that's $20 extra.

Obviously they beat their 1 week shipping time.

Heavy duty with at least 3/4" of adjustment threading with an aluminum lock ring.

Tried it out first on my monitor. I needed 7/16 adjustment.

Just tried it on my 11x14 Studio Deardorff with my DIY GG.

Eureka! I can see and focus highlights in a eye.

Seems simple now, but reality is I never really needed any loupe until after I had my eyes 'fixed'. Not giving them a second chance.

ymmv

I will be drilling a hole in the base, which separates from the lens part, so I can wear it around my neck and not lose it.

My first necklace!

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Anxiously await the review!

Does not need to be two +10 diopter close up lenses. Suggest getting one of these Vivitar Series 1 diopter close up kits (has four close diopters in a kit, +1, +2, +4, +10) in the filter size of interest. larger or smaller filter size depending on need. The 67mm kit is about $13 USD via eBay to your door.

Name:	Vivitar Series 1, dopter kit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	192857

These diopters have a removable lens retainer ring which allows removing then flipping the diopter lens as needed.

Name:	Vivitar S1, retainer ring.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	192858

Mix and match the diopter lenses of your choice depending on magnification and working distance needed by experimentation, this is NOT a precise optic as it is a modest magnification magnifier. The lens curvature faces the outside of the lens set-group. Once the diopter set is chosen, install the flipped diopter into the filter holder then install the retainer ring with a spanner wrench.. Do not over tighten the retainer ring. tiny amount of lubricant will go along ways to making a smooth retaining ring installation.

Name:	Diopter as needed.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	192859

Name:	Lens orientation.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	192860

A spare empty filter ring can be added to allow the magnifier to sit flat on a table or similar flat surface.

Not a bad magnifier for modest cost.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I don't have 2 +10 diopters close up lenses at hand.

As I recall they have glass thicker than the mount making 2 impossible to stack directly.

How do you use them together?

There are other brands of close up diopters like Tiffen that have removable lens retainer rings allowing the diopter lens to be flipped and mixed as needed.

Name:	Tiffen retainer ring.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	192861

Bernice