Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loupes Again, What Works for You

Loupes Again, What Works for You

I need something and i never did before eye surgery.

Very near sighted from birth, I could only see well at GG distance.

Now I need 10 to 20X loupe.

How to Choose a Magnifier

What do you use that is still available new?

Re: Loupes Again, What Works for You

I wish I knew what my main loupe is in case I ever lose it. It has no markings. A guy I was buying two lenses from sold it to me, as I didn't have one at the time. It's a 10x, and it's tiny. I really like it.

Some of my friends use 3x to 7x loupes and they are massive by comparison.

I'll take some pics later.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The highest magnification I've used was 9x---the ubiquitous Agfa---yeah, I know it's not perfect but it worked well enough for me until I could afford a 6x Silvestri, but that would be even weaker than the Agfas.
    You can find linen testers that are 30x
    Wisner, IIRC, preferred linen testers over conventional loupes for focusing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Loupes seem attracted to Georgia's raging rivers. So I buy cheaper Peak 5x loupes when on sale. I also bought a reflex viewer so I am using loupes for less time, and now tend to put them back in the bag when done.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The highest magnification I've used was 9x---the ubiquitous Agfa---yeah, I know it's not perfect but it worked well enough for me until I could afford a 6x Silvestri, but that would be even weaker than the Agfas.
    You can find linen testers that are 30x
    Wisner, IIRC, preferred linen testers over conventional loupes for focusing.
    8x, not 9x. The same loupes today are made by APS in Spain and are, or were, sold under the Gepe Pro and Kaiser names. A copy was also made in China and was no where near as well made. You can easily tell them apart by running your finger around the base. The European made ones have a very smooth rounded bottom edge, the others have a less rounded edge and are not smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Loupes seem attracted to Georgia's raging rivers. So I buy cheaper Peak 5x loupes when on sale. I also bought a reflex viewer so I am using loupes for less time, and now tend to put them back in the bag when done.
    Better loupes usually come with a neck cord to save themselves from raging rivers or mountain heights or clumsy users,

Drew Wiley

I learned to use a fully closing little carabiner on my tripod to secure loupe cords, meter straps, and camera backs when attaching a Graflok roll-film holder, all this due to the wisdom attained in the school of hard knocks exactly as Bob just phrased it. "Raging rivers, mountain heights, and clumsiness" all apply to me.

I was wrong, there is a marking. My favorite loupe is apparently made by Edmunds Scientific and also says "Made in USA." 10x, very sharp and small. Next to it, a 7x that just says "Japan" which is a little better for 8x10 or 8x20 as I don't need such a high mag. The 10x for 4x5 and smaller.

I keep my loupe in my left pocket usually. Spot meter in my right lower pocket.

Drew Wiley

The 7X on the left is the Peak model which is my favorite too, although it's most frequently found under Horseman private label, but sometimes under Nikon or Wista label as well. I use these for all my view camera formats.

Cool. I can't remember where I got it. I think someone gave it to me or it was thrown in with something else I bought.