Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Tele 400m f/8 vs Schneider APO-Tele-Xenar 400

Fuji Tele 400m f/8 vs Schneider APO-Tele-Xenar 400

Hello

I am currently shooting a 4x5 Shen Hao with the 90mm grandagon and 210mm g-claron lens...I am selling the grandagon as I do not have much use for the wide angle lens and am intersted in purchasing a 400mm tele lens. The Shen Hao has a 12" rail and I cannot go longer than a 300mm lens. However, with the tele lens, I can go up to 400mm and this would be ideal as I am looking for a longer lens.

Has anyone used the Fuji Tele 400m f/8 or Schneider APO-Tele-Xenar 400 f/5.6? Has anyone done any testing on resolution, sharpness, or contrast--if so, what are your findings?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

I use the Fuji on my Shen-Hao. I like it. I haven't done any testing of anything, but I like my results (black and white contact prints).

Mike

I use the Fuji 400 telephoto on my Shen Hao. I have it mounted on a top hat style lens board that gives me a 4-5 cm extra extension which comes in handy for near subjects.

I also have the Fuji - it requires around 260mm of draw.

It's a great lens, and works very well with my Master Technika....nope, I haven't done any testing, except make good photographs with it. Very sharp, as long as you stop down to f22, which for 4x5 is pretty much normal in the landscape....

I too owned the Fuji and liked it. One of the nice things about it is that it's in a Copal 1 shutter, a little unusual for a 400mm lens, and is comparatively small and light. Never used a Tele Xenar so I can't compare them but I'd be surprised if it's noticeably better than the Fuji.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Davis

My understanding with the Tele-Xenars is that they have VERY limited image circles beyond the minimum required to cover 4x5. I have a Fuji 300T, and it provides me with a substantial amount of coverage, more than enough for most things I'll shoot with a 300. I would expect the same is true with the 400T.

"My understanding with the Tele-Xenars is that they have VERY limited image circles beyond the minimum required to cover 4x5."

The Apo-Tele-Xenar 400mm has an image circle of 250mm according to Schneiders web site, and is rated for 5x7. And Schneiders ratings tend to be conservative. The older 360mm non-Apo Tele-Xenar had a 224mm image circle.

You can see some sample images and scan samples from the Fujinon here. Scroll down around 2/3 of the page, to the section on lenses.

If filter-size is important, consider that the Fujinon takes 67mm filters. When shooting, make sure to avoid camera shake, wind, etc. It doesn't take much to ruin an image.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 28-Jun-2018 at 14:03.

You might also consider the Nikkor 360T. I used to use one when my primary camera was a Toyo 45AII, which had a maximum bellows extension just over 12 inches. The Nikkor also takes interchangeable rear elements, so you can convert it to a 500mm or even a 720mm...but you'd need about 14-1/2 and 19 inches extension for those two setups.

I have the Schneider Tele-Xenar 400mm and love it. Yes it is a heavy, and large lens, and often on longer bushwalks it is the first to leave my pack. I have been using it at all apetures and have found no disernable differences in sharpness, resolution etc. Though I have not done any testing. Adequate movements particularly when using rise / fall or shift. But when you start tilting the lens, you can move out of the image circle quickly. Particularly when you compare it to the image circle of the 450mm fujion compact that it replaced. When tilting a long lens the image just moves quickly due to focal length. When I first started using this heavy lens I was worried that the camera mightn't hold it still enough, but haven't found any problems (I am using it in an Ebony).

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal