Ran into a new challenge the last few days. I am working with Fuji Pro 160NS and mostly Toyo View holders (4X5).

I load the film carefully in the dark bag at home, go outside (not a huge temperature difference at the moment, maybe 5 deg F warmer in the sun), take the exposure, and then when I try to push in the dark slide it runs into the edge of the film. Ruined several sheets before I started not pulling the dark slide out completely during the exposure. I may have slightly cropped one edge of the exposures I salvaged, but that's better than the sheet coming out the wrong side of the dark slide.

This has happened in 4 different holders. Never happened before with other kinds of film I have used - I have been playing around with LF since last fall. The Fuji 160 is expired 2017 which doesn't sound too far out of date.

Is the film curling soon as I pull the dark slide out for the exposure? Or is it that the gap between the slide and the holder expands when in the sun, allowing the film sheet space to shift? I tried with one of the ruined sheets back at home and the process seemed fine, the slide goes right back in without bumping into the sheet.

Any advice is welcome. I don't fancy wasting more 4X5 film.