Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IR Googles

Re: IR Googles

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    $180? A bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I did a lot in the dark I might be interested.

Kent in SD
    Way cheaper than the $400+ unit I bought off eBay and had to return; and, the 119V is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Nearly all of them come with an IR light source but my observations have always been that it your external light source "glows red", the odds are pretty good that the film can see this light source as well. I tested this theory to prove that is in fact the case.
    I contacted the distributor with this very question and was told that the IR light in the 119V runs at 850nm. In theory, that range is beyond what ordinary panchromatic film will respond to, but I haven't tested it, yet. I plan to very soon.

I've been using Spynet (toy) goggles for several years now. I would be in trouble without them. I'm definitely interested in this unit. My biggest question is will it have sharp focus at Arms length and is 1x translate to a wide field of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I've been using Spynet (toy) goggles for several years now. I would be in trouble without them. I'm definitely interested in this unit. My biggest question is will it have sharp focus at Arms length and is 1x translate to a wide field of view.
    I guess it depends on what you call sharp focus... It will easily focus on something at arms length, but the resolution is limited by the internal screen--320x240. Not exactly iPhone resolution, but I find it very acceptable. For my use, the 1x magnification is certainly better than the 3x of the 120R, but, again, your mileage may vary. To give you an idea of the field of view, at arms length I can see about 2/3 of an 8x10 film tank and film holder sitting in my darkroom sink. I would like to see the entire tank top, but my arms just ain't that long.

My only criticism of the 119V, at this point, is that it would be nice to be able to adjust the brightness of the internal screen. With the unit mounted on my head, there is just a wee bit of light, from the screen, that escapes around one side of the eye cuff. At this point, I don't know if it's enough to cause any issue with film, but, since the point was raised that these IR units can fog film, I have two test sheets ready for development. If you're interested, I'll pass along my findings.

To the forum moderators: It would be nice if you could edit the title of this thread to properly spell goggles. This would make it easier for anybody interested in this information to find it via a search.

I made mine for $9 in 5 min, using a car Dash Camera and a old-cheap VR goggles for smartphone. The Traffic dash cam has IR illuminators, the camera, the screen and a battery lasting some 15min, a little power bank in the camera usb connector lasts for hours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR (1).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	192785

Name:	IMG_ir.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	192787

Search ebay ($9): HD 2.4"LCD 1080P Car DVR Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam Night Vision

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	192786

Enough for an sporadic usage, very low weight, I'd use a better thing (that pointed by OP) for frequent usage, just I post this solution to show how cheap it can be.

As it works nice I'll print a 3d part to attach the camera nicely to the goggles.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 25-Jun-2019 at 17:13.

Goggles, man! Goggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Goggles, man! Goggles!
    Sorry, I started it by typing it wrong!

I can now confirm, via densitometer, that there is absolutely no fogging with the Nightfox 119V and Fomapan 100 film. Postulating here, it's probably safe to assume that the 119V would not fog any normal panchromatic film stock. Any film with extended red sensitivity may be an issue and, of course, IR film is out of the question.

If someone would make a stereo, real BI-noculars, two tiny HD screens from a EVF camera, two cameras with sonar auto focus 900nm illumination. That's Cool!

Or like the Marvel heros use echo location to build a 3-D image that we could view on Googles NO Goggles