Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IR Googles

Re: IR Googles

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I can now confirm, via densitometer, that there is absolutely no fogging with the Nightfox 119V and Fomapan 100 film. Postulating here, it's probably safe to assume that the 119V would not fog any normal panchromatic film stock. Any film with extended red sensitivity may be an issue and, of course, IR film is out of the question.
    My Spynet thing doesn't fog any non IR film color or black and white. And I've had the illumination as close as arms length. The IR floodlights emit some visible very very dim red light, bouncing off a white wall, illuminates my entire darkroom. I look like an idiot but no one can see me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_164402-1-1_resized_2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	192801

I guess it depends on what you call sharp focus... It will easily focus on something at arms length, but the resolution is limited by the internal screen--320x240. Not exactly iPhone resolution, but I find it very acceptable. For my use, the 1x magnification is certainly better than the 3x of the 120R, but, again, your mileage may vary. To give you an idea of the field of view, at arms length I can see about 2/3 of an 8x10 film tank and film holder sitting in my darkroom sink. I would like to see the entire tank top, but my arms just ain't that long.

My only criticism of the 119V, at this point, is that it would be nice to be able to adjust the brightness of the internal screen. With the unit mounted on my head, there is just a wee bit of light, from the screen, that escapes around one side of the eye cuff. At this point, I don't know if it's enough to cause any issue with film, but, since the point was raised that these IR units can fog film, I have two test sheets ready for development. If you're interested, I'll pass along my findings.
    I attached a wide angle auxiliary lens from an old VHS camera I found on Ebay for 5 bucks. My setup has a manual focus wheel. As long as you keep still, it's sharp, I can read "British Made" on my Hewes reels. If you move around the frame rate is too slow to keep things sharp.

Here's a recording I made with one of my toys, no wide angle

https://youtu.be/bXUck5VphcA

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    My Spynet thing doesn't fog any non IR film color or black and white.
    I tested specifically for fogging because someone mentioned in an earlier post that these IR goggles fog film.

I tested specifically for fogging because someone mentioned in an earlier post that these IR goggles fog film.
    I sent a email nightfox. Sounds like a nice unit. I look forward to hearing more on how these work.