Thread: Betterscanning.com holder not working with Epson V800

Exclamation Betterscanning.com holder not working with Epson V800

I just sent an email to betterscanning.com regarding this issue, but since it may take a while to get an answer, I try getting some help here as well. I'm sure there are some of you using the betterscanning holder for the Epson V series.

Basically, I tried dry scanning a transparency film after having prepared the ANR glass, the light mask and the film. I followed the exact instructions given here:
    http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/msdry.html

I taped the film onto the blurry side of the glass, then inverted the glass and put it into the holder (so the film is facing down and there is the glass between the film and the scanner lamp in the lid), then I finally placed my light mask on top of the glass.

To my surprise, I found it impossible to perform a scan, since the preview doesn’t work to begin with. I attach you the screenshot of the preview.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 00.50.00.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	192601
    I also attach a couple of photos I took of my holder setup, so you can check if I’m missing something here.

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	192602

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	192603

I even tried mounting the film on the glossy side, or move the holder to different edges of the scanner glass, nothing works, I still get the same problem.
    Also, I don’t know if this is how it should be, but the scanner lid doesn’t really close properly when using your mounting station.

I tried different softwares as well, from Epson Scanner to Silverfast 8. No changes.

Can you help me to figure out what is wrong here?
    I’m sure my scanner works properly since I can scan with no problems by using the Epson mount.

I feel dumb but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks,
    Max

Re: Betterscanning.com holder not working with Epson V800

Is it blocking the little holes at the top that tells the scanner information about your scan?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Is it blocking the little holes at the top that tells the scanner information about your scan?
    Hi Alan, I don't know which holes you are talking about. On the lid?
    I also think the scanner doesn't get the proper information, since the preview is much slower than usual, and it also sounds different, as if it it was a document scan or something...
    Thanks.

The Epson holders have little holes at the top end of the holders. Each holder has a different configuration of holes. These holes have a light shined thru them by the scanner and tell the unit what kind of holder it is. (ie 35mm, 120, etc.) If the Betterscanner holder is blocking where the light shines thru, it may be giving erroneous info to the scanner. Also, make sure the film isn;t blocking those holes.
    https://files.support.epson.com/html...tml/set2_2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The Epson holders have little holes at the top end of the holders. Each holder has a different configuration of holes. These holes have a light shined thru them by the scanner and tell the unit what kind of holder it is. (ie 35mm, 120, etc.) If the Betterscanner holder is blocking where the light shines thru, it may be giving erroneous info to the scanner. Also, make sure the film isn;t blocking those holes.
    https://files.support.epson.com/html...tml/set2_2.htm
    I see.
    I just performed a curious test. I placed the empty betterscanning holder on the glass, then clickec preview. I got the same problem.
    So I just inverted it on the scanner glass (basically how it shouldn't be) and the scan works. (???)

I just don't get it. This is driving me nuts.

Ok I got it. I'm an idiot. Holy hell.
    Basically the holder must be placed with the two edges with the tiny holes towards the scanner hinge, and the holes must stay visible on the glass.
    Goddammit that wasn't clear at all.

I cannot believe I spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out.
    I better go to sleep.

Thanks again Alan.
    Max

Don't be hard on yourself. You're not the first guy who did this. Now go to sleep before your break something.

Glad you figured it out. I have been using them for a while now wet scanning and they work great. For wet scanning you mount on shiny side. I wouldn't dry mount with negative facing scan glass since it would sag and have air pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by afxstudio View Post
    Ok I got it. I'm an idiot. Holy hell.
    Basically the holder must be placed with the two edges with the tiny holes towards the scanner hinge, and the holes must stay visible on the glass.
    Goddammit that wasn't clear at all.

I cannot believe I spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out.
    I better go to sleep.

Thanks again Alan.
    Max
    Those tiny holes are for screws to prevent the holder from being out of position. They should be in far enough to make contact with edge of scanner frame just above the scan glass, but no in so far they touch the glass. This way, you can position the holder in exactly the same position each time on the scanner. You should have like 4 total holes 2 at top and 2 on the side I believe.