I was reminded recently of a story about Paul Strand, told to me by his close friend, Walter Rosenblum, many years ago. I may not have the details right, but the gist is clear. I preface it with a note on Strand's early landscape work, which is cited by photography historians for having broken ground in integrating sky and clouds more fully, that is, with more compositional unity, in the overall design than others before him.

Strand had been given a commercial assignment for, I believe, a skyline photograph, and invited Walter to accompany him. The two set out early, Strand chose a location, set up the view camera, and waited. They spent a good part of the day waiting, but Strand never made a photo. "The coulds are not right," he told Walter. But the weather would be good the next day, so Walter readily agreed to accomplany Strand again.

By the end of the second day, Strand had made no more images than he had the first. Same reason.

Walter went out with Strand again the third day, but this time Strand's judgement -- remained the same. Clouds not right. After that, Walter left Strand to his own devices for that assignment.

For those who imagine landscape photography to be easy, a lesson.