Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens caps? Bought or made?

Lens caps? Bought or made?

I needed a lens cap for my Harrison lens. I was contemplating on making one because I had previously made one for my 16 1/2 Voigtländer. It was a Pain in the A$$ to say the least with gluing leather and felt. On my Harrison I decided to 3D print one out of a thermoplastic rubber. The lens hood on the Harrison is not perfectly round and the rubber conforms to all the waves and bumps The 3D print worked out awesome, but I’m wondering what everyone else is doing when they get a lens that has no lens cap?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	192588Click image for larger version. 

Views:	85 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	192589Click image for larger version. 

ID:	192589

Re: Lens caps? Bought or made?

Have had limited success with acquiring larger than needed slip on caps and shimming the inside with felt to make fit, the sides are just too short. Years ago for a large brass lens shimmed the inside of a large PVC end cap... worked out fine and was way more substantial than OEM LF plastic lens caps. And then once had a beautiful leather cap fabricated by a shoemaker. Cost me around $20 and was a work of art.

I am concerned by possible out-gassing of any home fabricated lens cover.
    Perhaps I should reconsider.

I made one out of multiple layers of cardstock glue together and thin leather glued over the top. I let it sit for two weeks before putting it on lens due to glue fumes from contact cement.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcsweeney View Post
    I made one out of multiple layers of cardstock glue together and thin leather glued over the top. I let it sit for two weeks before putting it on lens due to glue fumes from contact cement.
    Archival card stock? If not they could be acidic. Archival glue?

I once bought a name brand filter wallet because of its features and design. I bought it to store two complete sets of 67mm and Bay 60 Zeiss Softars, that would be 6 very expensive filters. After they had been in the case for a few months I noticed visible smudges on the Softars that would not clean off. Even by the Rollei service center. Nothing could remove the smudges!

I visited the manufacturer who just shrugged off that his product was destroying the very product they were made for claiming no responsibility for consequential damages. Should have taken him to court but since we were both in the photo industry it would not have been a wise move. I learned that after I won a suit against Berkey Photo Marketing while I had my studio and then went there for a job interview a few years later!

Machine one out of high density polyethylene or similar.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Delrin / Acetal / POM will not outgas. I wanted to get them made, but no takers, sadly.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...etal-Lens-Caps

Kumar

SK Grimes makes custom, perfect-fit lenscaps. If you want a lasting solution for a lens you value, open your wallet and let SK Grimes delight you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    SK Grimes makes custom, perfect-fit lenscaps. If you want a lasting solution for a lens you value, open your wallet and let SK Grimes delight you.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by tmcsweeney View Post
    I needed a lens cap for my Harrison lens. I was contemplating on making one because I had previously made one for my 16 1/2 Voigtländer. It was a Pain in the A$$ to say the least with gluing leather and felt. On my Harrison I decided to 3D print one out of a thermoplastic rubber. The lens hood on the Harrison is not perfectly round and the rubber conforms to all the waves and bumps The 3D print worked out awesome, but I’m wondering what everyone else is doing when they get a lens that has no lens cap?Click image for larger version. 

ID:	192589Click image for larger version. 

ID:	192589
    That's pretty neat