Thread: 240mm G-Claron / Dagor / Plasmat cosmetic differences to identify them?

240mm G-Claron / Dagor / Plasmat cosmetic differences to identify them?

Hi all,

I'm hoping fellow forum members might be able to post a few pictures that show the cosmetic differences of the Dagor vs. Plasmat type 240mm G-Claron versions.

I know that the former has a 46mm filter thread vs. a 52mm thread of the latter. I also know about the reflection test, but I'm wanting to know if it's possible to quickly spot one version from the other just by looking at them, i.e. on sites like eBay where a seller doesn't know the difference or have the inclination or ability to measure the front thread, etc.

For example, is the rear or front cell outer styled or shaped differently? Is there a definitive serial number ranger for either types, or any cosmetic changes or details added to the typeface on lens rim? Maybe there are other things I'm missing...

Essentially I'm working towards acquiring a Dagor type version to compliment my 210mm G-Claron Dagor type and want to be certain – if that's possible – about what i'm looking at.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: 240mm G-Claron / Dagor / Plasmat cosmetic differences to identify them?

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AggQfcczvHGN0kIjB_63NhzCEsV5 Oh, and by the way, if you'd used the list you'd have seen this link.

I haven't tested it closely, but none of the dagor type G-Clarons I've seen have been in modern livery. For an example of modern livery, see https://web.archive.org/web/20190620...S/113700448163. White circle with diameter used as aperture mark is modern.

This is the barrel for my 240 G-Claron, Dagor Design, Serial # 10 942 28x. It now lives in a silver Copal 1. Not a hard rule, but typically the Dagor design G-Clarons have serial numbers under 11 xxx xxx.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	192607

Thanks guys!

All G-Claron's currently on eBay look to be Plasmat design. If I'm not mistaken, they have a broader / wider rear cell as well as a larger front diameter – they look overall chunkier.

I'll keep an eye out...

Don't assume that a G-Claron mounted in a Copal shutter is a Plasmat. Once owned a G-Claron in a Copal shutter that was a Dagor formula optic. Bought it on eBAY because it was bargained priced. To my delight when it arrived I took a look at the reflections and sure enough it was a Dagor! Whoever mounted the barrel lens inside the Copal shutter did a superb job... could have easily passed for an OEM lens in shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks guys!

All G-Claron's currently on eBay look to be Plasmat design. If I'm not mistaken, they have a broader / wider rear cell as well as a larger front diameter – they look overall chunkier.

I'll keep an eye out...
    Why be approximate? Did you follow the link I posted? It gives all of the details except livery. Livery can be misleading because cells can be swapped between barrels as well as between shutters.

Greg, moving G-Claron cells from their barrel to the appropriate size of Compur/Copal/Prontor shutter is a simple matter of unscrew, rescrew. The only additional work needed, and not always, is making an aperture scale.

Thanks Dan, yes I did follow the link.

The best example on eBay currently has a serial of 12 288 194. It’s in a copal shutter. The serial is a bit higher than the highest listed for a 240mm lens on your list and as front thread diameter isn’t printed on the barrel it’s hard to say what version it is and as I’m only looking at present I won’t waste the sellers time.