Thread: CLA's and Other Services

CLA's and Other Services

Hi

I have a few shutters that are in need of a good CLA and was wondering where to send them. I understand that SK Grimes doesn't do CLAs anymore, and Flutot's is currently on a medical hiatus. So I thought I would put it to the experiences of the group to see what else is out there. I understand that when it comes to camera repair, the old saying holds true: "Good, Fast, Cheap; pick any two!" Any favorable input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: CLA's and Other Services

I was about to reassure you that SK Grimes still works on Copal shutters but thought I'd better check first and I see I would have been wrong. As of October last year, surprised I haven't seen this mentioned on this forum before, maybe I missed it.

Anyway I use Henry Paine in Stockton: https://www.henrypaine.com

He's done a number of rim-set Compurs and a No. 5 Ilex for me. I've been happy.

David

Thank you, David for your recommendation. I will definitely look into it.

Though I can't help but wonder.... I thought I might get a few more suggestions. That way, I can shop around a bit. I realize I can always Google this topic. But I was really hoping for a few more experienced-based recommendations.

Another issue that I face is that since I've not had to send any shutters in before, I really have no expectation of cost. What's a good price? Bad price? What should I expect when sending in a shutter? Anything else I need to consider? Thanks much!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I’m blessed by a close proximity to Steve Choi - Steve’s Camera Repair in Culver City CA. That’s who I used but I thought I read that he may have stopped servicing LF shutters. Or maybe I’m confused. I can’t imagine that he’s not servicing shutters, but haven’t been in recently to ask. Last price I paid was $135 for a dial-set Compur.

My expectations are simplistic: receipt with serial number, a price, a reasonable promised date... and then fulfillment of that with a well-functioning shutter. Some folks desire shutter speed test data... I couldn’t care less about that data because it’s just too easy to validate shutter function with quick and easy film testing... plus I’m a lot less anxious if I don’t know that my shutter is off a a tenth of a stop here or there.

Thank you, Brian. That is certainly good information.

While repair shop location might be a consideration, I was already operating under the assumption that any place I select I would be sending my work to them. So whether it's Culver City (Steve's), Whittier (Flutot's), or Stockton (Paine's), it makes no difference to me so long as the cost is competitive for quality work and reasonable turnaround.