Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

  1. #31
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    [...]
    IMO, it is arrogant and naive to believe foundational form by mean of geometric composition is not with adhering to when one of the great gifts of the human condition is pattern recognition directly tied to emotional response then memory.
    Formal composition is as import to understand as it is to misunderstand. When it works its pragmatic virtue is what matters. It helps to realize some cultural perceptual differences, too, for example a culture in which media was presented on scrolls, the part that rolls off (top or side) implies that composition continues beyond the immediate frame.

    Psychology studies perceptual errors. Apophenia: False pattern recognition. Also see Patternicity. There are more terms or topic headers, of course, but a challenge to 2D artists is to exploit them when appropriate. That is not breaking rules. It is creativity.

    Rule One: don't be trapped in your culture's proclivity to hard metrics just because they are easy to explain.

    (aside: I love this old video)

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Aka, understanding and appreciating the way Nature really is to the very best of one's ability then trying their best to make a deal with the way Nature really is in a Symbolic effort for a given intent & goal.

    The human eye-brain-mind is often and easily fooled in various ways.


    Bernice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

    Psychology studies perceptual errors. Apophenia: False pattern recognition. Also see Patternicity. There are more terms or topic headers, of course, but a challenge to 2D artists is to exploit them when appropriate. That is not breaking rules. It is creativity.

    Rule One: don't be trapped in your culture's proclivity to hard metrics just because they are easy to explain.

    (aside: I love this video)

  3. #33
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,015

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Great video. but all the data is upside down from my POV.

    Art rules are for the timid.

    Rage, rage against the dying of darkness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Formal composition is as import to understand as it is to misunderstand. When it works its pragmatic virtue is what matters. It helps to realize some cultural perceptual differences, too, for example a culture in which media was presented on scrolls, the part that rolls off (top or side) implies that composition continues beyond the immediate frame.

    Psychology studies perceptual errors. Apophenia: False pattern recognition. Also see Patternicity. There are more terms or topic headers, of course, but a challenge to 2D artists is to exploit them when appropriate. That is not breaking rules. It is creativity.

    Rule One: don't be trapped in your culture's proclivity to hard metrics just because they are easy to explain.

    (aside: I love this video)

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    8,446

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..


    Stonehenge
    Paul Caponigro, circa 1970

    A critic or analyst can identify certain principles at work, but that's always after the fact. What makes a really successful photo is the combination of basic formulas with a sense of surprise or discovery.

    Without the elements of play and spontaneity, this game would have been over a long time ago.

  5. #35
    Kevin Kolosky
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    801

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    To which I would add that in many respects our beautiful earth is already wonderfully "composed".

    Too many words are wasted defining and categorizing what we instinctively enjoy looking at. What is wrong with looking at a photograph and just saying, "I like it" without having to define it? Or again, trusting the language that is photography, and let the photograph, and that thing that is portrayed, speak for itself.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Can the artist attempt to give a truthful, creative, expressive "voice" to the beauty of Nature without stunting their innate-inherient Beauty with human intentions?


    Bernice


    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    To which I would add that in many respects our beautiful earth is already wonderfully "composed".

  7. #37
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,015

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    No if we use a device. Perhaps yes if we use only human memory as we are part of the environment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Can the artist attempt to give a truthful, creative, expressive "voice" to the beauty of Nature without stunting their innate-inherient Beauty with human intentions?


    Bernice

  8. #38
    Kevin Kolosky
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    801

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    The "artist" certainly didn't create nature. He/she saw something that in his/her own mind thought was significant or special and decided to make an image of it, hoping that somebody else might in some way think the same or close to it. Its fine if people want to waste a lot of words defining it. A lot of people earn their living doing that. When I look at photographs I don't need anyone to tell me whether its "composed" properly, or its good, or wonderful, etc. All I need to do is look at it, and what is being portrayed, and I instinctively know whether it speaks to me and what it says to me. That might not be what the "artist" intended it to say, and that may be one of the risks of "putting it out there" to be judged, but that is a risk you have to take if you want to be a so called "artist".

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

    Stonehenge
    Paul Caponigro, circa 1970

    A critic or analyst can identify certain principles at work, but that's always after the fact. What makes a really successful photo is the combination of basic formulas with a sense of surprise or discovery.

    Without the elements of play and spontaneity, this game would have been over a long time ago.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I glanced at that "formulas for landscapes" page and thought, "one can take just about ANY photograph, and overlay one of those many formats and say 'SEE! I'm using the cascading diamond formula'!" Except....it was not intentional. Um, yeah:



    There are lots of sites where people draw lines and circles on photos and retroactively explain how good the photographer composed. Other than taking a mountain vista shot but having the mountain obscured by a big tree 6 feet in front of the lens, are there any "wrong" landscapes?!

  10. #40
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Basic Landscape Composition Formulas..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Can the artist attempt to give a truthful, creative, expressive "voice" to the beauty of Nature without stunting their innate-inherient Beauty with human intentions?
    Nature necessarily transcends art. Nature exists without us. My wife has been a gardener for over 65 years and her mission is to grow and multiply what nature gives her. As a photographer all I can do is a poor representation of specimens. That being said I am moved to appreciate any examples where the camera can, by its inherent qualities especially time factors, can expand our appreciation. Some macro work is similarly enlightening.

Similar Threads

  1. Basic landscape metering question (not so basic actually)
    By RodinalDuchamp in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2015, 21:14
  2. Your method for matching lens to landscape composition
    By emo supremo in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 11-Feb-2013, 04:45
  3. POP Formulas
    By imagedowser in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2009, 22:26
  4. Old Formulas
    By Paul Fitzgerald in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2005, 13:08
  5. Landscape/Mountain composition in the winter
    By James Phillips in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 7-Jan-2001, 11:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •