Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing the rangefinder on a Linhof Technika III

Re: Linhof Technica range finder

Hi Embdue
    Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.
    Much appreciated.
    I love this camera even though it can be infuriating at times.
    Regards

Hi Embdude,
    Unfortunately the Administrator is lot letting me open the attachments. I don't know why. Would you be so kind to send them again in a different format?

Thank you again for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Italianguy View Post
    Hi Embdude,
    Unfortunately the Administrator is lot letting me open the attachments. I don't know why. Would you be so kind to send them again in a different format?

Thank you again for your replies.
    Yeah not getting my photos to work lately... this board has kinda an antique system for attaching them... I contacted the "administrator" but got no response... I have reposted them so check to see if they are showing up...

Hi Embdude,
    I tried the other side of the cam but it does not slide all the way in because the groves on the sides are asymmetrical. Either it's meant to function like this or it was just a single purpose cam. What do you think? The pin you refer to is missing in my camera and whoever removed it also drilled in another hole for good measure.
    Would you please post a photo of the pin in question with measurements ? Thank you.
    My son will machine an eye piece at his lathe from a rod of aluminium so all good there.
    I am also adding what I have done to repair the rangefinder mechanism just in case someone else is interested.
    So first retract the back fully and disengage base from track. This will expose 4 screws holding down a plate, 2 large and 2 small. Unscrew all 4 and remove plate gently. This will expose the rangefinder transmission mechanism, a spring coil attached to one of its arms and a large screw about 15mm at the back which acts as a pivot. I partially unscrewed this large screw to clean it because it was gunky, then removed the coil, shortened it because it had lost its elasticity and shaped another hook at its end to reattach it.. Obviously if you have a replacement it would be better but I did not have one handy. The two small screws act as anchor and to level the stationary track with the extendable ones.
    First photo shows cam for 9cm lens fully inserted. Second photo show cam reversed but not fully inserted, third photo shows stationary track plate with 4 screws, fourth photo shows misshapen hole with missing pin.
    Regards

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCN2998.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	197834

Name:	DSCN2999.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	197836

Name:	DSCN3000.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	197837

Name:	DSCN3002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	197835
    Last edited by Italianguy; 27-Nov-2019 at 03:12.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, somehow I lost track of this thread. Hopefully you have come up with a solution to the missing RF pin on the bedrail.
    I do not have a complete knowledge of early RF cams but as yours is lacking the Linhof Munchen logo it is likely something made up in a shop rather than a factory made cam, but who really knows? everyone form that era is now gone... As you say it appears to only be intended to be used with the 90cm side.
    Thanks for the writeup on the RF mechanism.