Thread: Want Lens Suggestion late 19th C.

Foamer

Want Lens Suggestion late 19th C.

I'm gathering bits & pieces to begin my foray into wet plate, and have been shooting the dry plates as well of course. I think I'll settle on 5x7 for both eventually (now mostly shooting 5x7 dry plates,) but will begin with 4x5 as it's easier to handle. I have a nice selection of pre-Civil War Petzvals and pill box lenses, but have nothing for the era 1865-1890. I'm looking for a lens that would have been used by a landscape photographer in that period and I'm thinking that would be a rapid rectilinear of some type. I know there's many names--Hemispherique, Aplanatic, rapid rectilinear, and (?) symmetrical. I'm thinking of something a bit wide, like 4 inch for 4x5 or 6 inch for 5x7 but don't know what's available and the coverage. I prefer Waterhouse slots but could live with something else. I have a 6 inch B&L rapid rectilinear in Uncum that I've been using on my 4x5 and do like it. It's a pretty lens. What should I be looking for c.1865-1890?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Want Lens Suggestion late 19th C.

Rapid Rectilinears aren't wide. You'd probably be best with a Wide Angle Rectilinear. Or on the early side, an Orthoscop, Globe or Pantoscop. On the late side, an early Goerz Doppel Anastigmat (later known as the Dagor).
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A classic lens, that is pretty inexpensive, is the Darlot Wide Angle Hemispherical View Lens. This one has the three levers to be used as stops for the lens.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dh.jpg  

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

R. D. Gray also made good wide angles and extreme wide angles in the period. Morrison too.

How about a Dallmeyer or Lancaster achromatic meniscus "Landscape" lens? Early ones could have a wheel stop and after about 1885 an iris diaphragm.