Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

When I was buying my 8x10 I was also looking for an "affordable" camera, not wanting to break the bank on a format I was just starting in, and knowing that I would be using it for portraits on wet plate as well as film. I settled on an old Burke and James Commercial View 8x10 and it has been everything I have needed. While not expensive, it is by no means cheap, but rather a well made workhorse that has lasted decades with no issues. It is not the easiest camera to use, it does not have geared rise/fall and fine focusing can be a bit tricky and time consuming at times, and it doesn't have the range of movements that more expensive cameras have, no is it as light, but it is more than adequate for my work and my needs, and I have had no problem with even the heaviest lenses I own, with the limiting factor in that regard being the lens board size (not exactly small at 6x6) rather than ability to hold the weight.

On another note, someone mentioned Stenopieka, and while I have not used their cameras, I am impressed with the cost and quality of their 8x10 plate holder, so it may be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ... "ordinary"and well within the size and weight when mastodons still roamed the earth and rented themselves out to help you carry your gear. There are plenty of lightwt lenses in that focal length to choose from that are optically superb. Same could be said for 8x10 cameras. Just because there are now lighter wt options does not mean they're lesser cameras. Just depends.
    I remember Stone buying all those lightweight Fuji lenses for his Chamonix. Great lenses but on the pricey side for someone looking for an affordable 8x10 outfit.

Drew Wiley

Timing is everything when it comes to used pricing. I'd saw only about four clean 360 A lenses come up for sale over a ten year period, all somewhat expensive. I ended up with two of them, but later sold one off. Then all of a sudden eleven turned up for sale in a single year, with one of them selling for just $600. After that, I've aware of only two more coming up, including a beat up one for $1400.

The folks at Gibellini are making me a quote for a Bellatrix, thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Timing is everything when it comes to used pricing.
    Indeed, it is!

As one data point, back in the late 1990s / early 2000s (I forget exactly when), I bought a used (admittedly somewhat scruffy but mechanically sound) Toyo 810G outfit, complete with a standard and bag bellows, a recessed lens board, two flat lens boards, and an adapter so it could also use the smaller lensboards from Toyo's field cameras, for just $400.

It was up for auction on eBay and I was the only bidder, because back then, a bulky, heavy, monorail 8x10 view camera was about as desirable as a dumptruck load of nuclear waste.

Today, all these years later, I'll bet I can still sell it for more than the inflation-adjusted $400 I paid and possibly even eek a small profit out of the deal, too!

Do not overlook the old Burk and James cameras as a budget camera. They are a bit clunky and were never considered to be high-end when new . . .but if it is in good shape, it will do naything you want to do in LF imaging.

As do many on this thread, I too have a 2D in 8x10 and like it while wishing I could afford a Deardorff or a newer premium grade LF camera.

My 4x5 outfit centers around a nice Zone VI. As observed by others, this quality camera has held its value since AI got it in the late 1990s.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 24-Jun-2019 at 08:52.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by robbiemcclaran View Post
    Svedovsky? Sure looks the business.
    I've got one. Love it.

Update:

I received my Bellatrix! I ordered an all black model and 2 film holders from Gibellini.

My first impressions are quite positive. It's definitely an ultra light, but doesn't feel cheap. The base, rails, and most of the knobs area all metal. Only the actual standards front and rear are 3D printed plastics (or whatever composite they use). I'm sure higher end cameras are a fair bit more rock solid, but for my purposes this will do nicely. The movements are already exceeding my needs, and the controls are easy to access under a dark cloth by feel. The bellows feel high quality too, nice and supple, with good rigidity!

You can see the areas where they cut corners to bring the cost down, such as the ground glass. It's not a modern ultra bright, but a fairly grainy glass, like I used to have in my college Deardorff. Who can say how the parts will hold up over the years and years? Frankly, if I do a magnificent portfolio on 8x10, I may say that it's time to invest in a more expensive model. However it's really nice to see models that can get your feet in the door for considerably less than the cost of a prosumer full frame digital camera. I will say that it's striking to lose that full rear extension that I got with my V8. On the other hand, I did close up work with that maybe a handful of times. I doubt it will be a big loss in practice. It was a nice to have, as opposed to a need to have at the moment.

Right now I have my 300/6.3 Komura tessar on her, and I can't wait to shoot something with it. I also received my Poilot tank and 8x10 reel. I'm hoping to run a test in the next few days, as I'm been practicing loading with some junk film. Not as difficult as I had heard. I have an Expert Drum for 8x10, but no CPxx that can run it. I will be investing in a CPP3 in the Fall, which will be great to have in my lab as I own Northeast Photographic (not sure if people knew that). We do all our B&W and E6 in a Phototherm SSK8r, but the Jobos seem to be better for sheet film in my estimation. And for certain special processes that I'll use personally.

I'm still looking for a Fuji 250/6.7 by the way. Or some good wide that I can use for a landscape project I have floating around my head. Not sure I can do better than the Fuji though, for the price and performance.

I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Charles S

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Update:

I received my Bellatrix! I ordered an all black model and 2 film holders from Gibellini.

My first impressions are quite positive. It's definitely an ultra light, but doesn't feel cheap. The base, rails, and most of the knobs area all metal. Only the actual standards front and rear are 3D printed plastics (or whatever composite they use). I'm sure higher end cameras are a fair bit more rock solid, but for my purposes this will do nicely. The movements are already exceeding my needs, and the controls are easy to access under a dark cloth by feel. The bellows feel high quality too, nice and supple, with good rigidity!

You can see the areas where they cut corners to bring the cost down, such as the ground glass. It's not a modern ultra bright, but a fairly grainy glass, like I used to have in my college Deardorff. Who can say how the parts will hold up over the years and years? Frankly, if I do a magnificent portfolio on 8x10, I may say that it's time to invest in a more expensive model. However it's really nice to see models that can get your feet in the door for considerably less than the cost of a prosumer full frame digital camera. I will say that it's striking to lose that full rear extension that I got with my V8. On the other hand, I did close up work with that maybe a handful of times. I doubt it will be a big loss in practice. It was a nice to have, as opposed to a need to have at the moment.

Right now I have my 300/6.3 Komura tessar on her, and I can't wait to shoot something with it. I also received my Poilot tank and 8x10 reel. I'm hoping to run a test in the next few days, as I'm been practicing loading with some junk film. Not as difficult as I had heard. I have an Expert Drum for 8x10, but no CPxx that can run it. I will be investing in a CPP3 in the Fall, which will be great to have in my lab as I own Northeast Photographic (not sure if people knew that). We do all our B&W and E6 in a Phototherm SSK8r, but the Jobos seem to be better for sheet film in my estimation. And for certain special processes that I'll use personally.

I'm still looking for a Fuji 250/6.7 by the way. Or some good wide that I can use for a landscape project I have floating around my head. Not sure I can do better than the Fuji though, for the price and performance.
    Congrats on your purchase. I am glad it works for you. I had the same reaction when I got mine. Gibellini has just announced a Fresnel GG option that supposedly can be retrofitted. I am going to check it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-01 22.04.02.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	194199