Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I just checked out his site. I am into this system now so I think I need to resolve my issue with the Bellatrix before I can find a replacement, but based on the price, his geographic location, and what I’m reading it looks like something I would seriously consider.
    Totally unsolicited here, but Richard has worked on one of my cameras---he did a fine job at a fair price. I couldn't ask for better!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Prices are going up, but I've told numerous folks that Wehman 8x10 cameras are the hidden jewel of the 8x10 field cameras out there...

Simple design, packed full of features, and robust. It's a camera designed to make photos, not look pretty, but as long as you're cool with that, it's tops.

Price is less than other premium 8x10 cameras but still a lot more than the low-cost ones being discussed...but since it'll be second-hand and tested you'll be fairly confident it works.

RIP Bruce, I only wish the parts for the camera went somewhere after his death. He kindly sent me a replacement part when I broke my camera slipping down a hill and slamming it into the ground the first time I used it, but it's all basically off-the-shelf parts I think from McMaster Carr and similar.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Woodyman_8x10 woody man 8x10. Seems to be better than Intrepids. https://woodymanproject.com/

The best engineered 8x10 I've seen is the one built by Mike Walker (stainless steel and machined engineering plastics) - the problem with so many 8x10's is the obsessive focus on weight over stability while retaining a good maximum extension. I have to admit to being increasingly tempted to either re-engineer a 2D front half into a non-folding lightweight camera (or one of the several models along similar lines) or use the 8x10 back I have kicking around and make a simple, moderately light but sturdy camera with no tilts & a shorter max extension (380-400mm is fine).

For under a thousand you could find a decent 8x10 Sinar Norma. I was working on mine today (it's been in storage in the basement) but it is oh-so cool. And infinitely expandable. And I doubt you could break it.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I use a Calumet C-1. two or three pounds more that a Deardorf. The camera doesn't more around like an old wood camera - I started with an old wood camera similar to a 2-D. The Calumet has a really long bellows and rail. As Alan said if you are shooting a wide angle the bed/rail gets in the way. There is also no bag bellows for it.

I use a Calumet C-1. two or three pounds more that a Deardorf. The camera doesn't more around like an old wood camera - I started with an old wood camera similar to a 2-D. The Calumet has a really long bellows and rail. As Alan said if you are shooting a wide angle the bed/rail gets in the way. There is also no bag bellows for it. Also I broke the front standard of my old wood camera with a 12 inch Velostigmat #2 in a #5 shutter - no problem of large lenses on the Calumet.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The best engineered 8x10 I've seen is the one built by Mike Walker (stainless steel and machined engineering plastics) - the problem with so many 8x10's is the obsessive focus on weight over stability while retaining a good maximum extension. I have to admit to being increasingly tempted to either re-engineer a 2D front half into a non-folding lightweight camera (or one of the several models along similar lines) or use the 8x10 back I have kicking around and make a simple, moderately light but sturdy camera with no tilts & a shorter max extension (380-400mm is fine).
    The Walker 810 is an elusive machine.. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what they bring these days, but for less than a 'dorff there are plenty of good old cameras out there.
    Ansel emphatically preferred the Agfa Ansco to the ' dorff.
    Weston wrote of his admiration for a Century Universal (lighter than the 'dorff) and nearly every old time 8x10 shooter used a Kodak at one time or another.
    Patching the bellows, a wee bit of TLC and maybe a some Elmer's and you too can join the club!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I’d say keep your eyes peeled for a Kodak Master View (KMV for short).

Incredibly simple, yet rugged, camera. Does many things well and my only complaint is the fact that rise / fall and axis tilt are locked with one knob on the front standard. Otherwise, they’re nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk