Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Update to my Bellatrix purchase and a bit of a rant. Things have not been rosy with this camera. I think most of the issues stem from the spring back...but I'm not sure.

First I went for two of their film holders, because I wanted to have a light leak free experience. Well let me tell you that didn't work out. I had leaks from the felt from day one. I wasn't sure if it was the felt or the back...but Gibellini took the camera and holders back and replaced the felts. I won't comment on the shipping time because that can't be helped, but getting this stuff from Maine to Italy is not super fast.

So they also sold me 3 more holders which they promised would be perfect (and they seem to be). But the leaks with the first two holders were still there! Now I think it may be from the spring back, which is a kind of funky mechanism, more on that later. It's mostly 3D printed. So they promised to exchange the 2 bad holders with brand new ones and that's that. Covid put the brakes on it since it was so bad in Italy, but we're back in business now. Just before packing up the 2 holders for exchange I bought some older but lightly used Fidelity holders to try. Wouldn't you know it they BARELY fit into the back. It's a big fight to get them in and out. No way the rear standard would stay in position while trying to do it. Completely ridiculous! Fidelities are like the standard holder.

So now the spring back, the 2 holders, and a reference Fidelity holder are all going back to Italy. I don't feel like I've had a usable camera since day 1 of owning it. There have been times I've made clean sheets, but I can't trust that this will happen every time. With film being SO expensive, I'm pretty pissed. I have purchased a lot of things around the camera to get going including a tripod, lenses, frozen film, etc, only to not be able to shoot 8x10. The camera design is actually really nice, I like using it. But I can't 'trust' it.

I will update this thread again based on what happens. Their communication has been very good. But they keep basically claiming that this is so crazy, never happens, etc... Someone else emailed me once to say they had problems with their back too so I think it's safe to say there are problems with the design. No idea how their most expensive cameras are, but the Bellatrix needs work IMHO.

I had the same experience with Alessandro and the ACN810.
    Light leaks owing to the design of the back. So it went back to Italy, and took over two months to get back to me.
    I had asked before purchase if the camera worked with Toyo holders, since those are all I have. I was told "Yes, of course!".
    "Of course" actually meant "No way", so back the camera went again, this time with a Toyo holder.
    Three months later I got it back. I'm pretty sure any work done happened a few days before they shipped it back to me. It likely sat there for a while.
    I had to call umpteen times for updates.
    By the time I got everything back, it all worked, and the camera was nice to use. But I was so fed up with the ordeal that I sold the camera soon after.
    I have a 95 year-old Kodak 2D for now, it doesn't have any problems beyond age-related maintenance/repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I had the same experience with Alessandro and the ACN810.
    Light leaks owing to the design of the back. So it went back to Italy, and took over two months to get back to me.
    I had asked before purchase if the camera worked with Toyo holders, since those are all I have. I was told "Yes, of course!".
    "Of course" actually meant "No way", so back the camera went again, this time with a Toyo holder.
    Three months later I got it back. I'm pretty sure any work done happened a few days before they shipped it back to me. It likely sat there for a while.
    I had to call umpteen times for updates.
    By the time I got everything back, it all worked, and the camera was nice to use. But I was so fed up with the ordeal that I sold the camera soon after.
    I have a 95 year-old Kodak 2D for now, it doesn't have any problems beyond age-related maintenance/repairs.

I'm currently looking at Stenopeikas and Chamonix 810Vs. Lots more money but hey if it means the cameras actually WORK then I guess I get what I pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I'm currently looking at Stenopeikas and Chamonix 810Vs. Lots more money but hey if it means the cameras actually WORK then I guess I get what I pay for.
    Keep sending your stuff back to Italy when you have Richard Ritter right down the road who makes one of the BESt 8x10 cameras
    It's funny because Richard actually makes a good living from all the crappo cameras like Wisner for many years repairing them....
    I don't know about Chamonix but are you going to send the camera back to China? probably not; you're going to call Richard
    I like to take pictures so for me I like to get the "equipment" issue out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Keep sending your stuff back to Italy when you have Richard Ritter right down the road who makes one of the BESt 8x10 cameras
    It's funny because Richard actually makes a good living from all the crappo cameras like Wisner for many years repairing them....
    I don't know about Chamonix but are you going to send the camera back to China? probably not; you're going to call Richard
    I like to take pictures so for me I like to get the "equipment" issue out of the way...
    Forgive my ignorance but I had never heard of Richard Ritter... very interesting. Definitely a good alternative to a Chamonix price point.

Though I will say a Chamonix wouldn’t have to go back to the factory. The 45N2 I had and my current 57N are just superb cameras.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post

As a recent buyer of a Stenopeika 8x10 wet plate holder and a 5x7 Chamonix 5x7 holder (plus 4x5 Chamonix 045n) I suggest you go with the Chamonix. For 8x10 I'm using a restored Kodak 2D. Limited movements but it's very nice.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Did you try a google search for Richard? He’s also on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Some people want to re-invent the wheel.

one alternative if you can find one on the bay is a wooden deardorff knockoff from India....I have one and it works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Did you try a google search for Richard? He’s also on this forum
    I just checked out his site. I am into this system now so I think I need to resolve my issue with the Bellatrix before I can find a replacement, but based on the price, his geographic location, and what I’m reading it looks like something I would seriously consider.