Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    The Walker 810 is an elusive machine.. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They're not totally uncommon over here - but they tend to attract a clientele who use their cameras rather than talk about them...

8x10 sheet film was never intended to be an "Affordable" film size format. While there are plenty of low cost 8x10 view cameras available today, camera is only one tiny bit of the whole of 8x10 sheet film photography experience. A few hundred U$D can easily purchase a good used 8x10 camera. With camera in hand, comes the cost of lenses, film holders and all that, likely the most costly aspect of 8x10 sheet film image making.. Film.

Processing and print making. Yes, scanners have made the connection between 8x10 sheet film to digital based prints viable and lower cost, that does not negate the cost of 8x10 sheet film and what is involved with properly processing 8x10 sheet film.

All that said, IMO all who have done any sheet film for any amount of time should try 8x10 even if only once. It is a very worth while experience in many ways. This is also IMO, the only way to know if 8x10 sheet film format works for you.

Bernice

While maybe a little out of you price range, but I haven’t seen anyone mention the Canham JMC810(the all metal one). It’s not the most rigid camera especially with longer extensions nor the smoothest. However, it just seems to work I’ve never had an exposure ruined that wasn’t my fault and it does damp vibrations well.
    It does pretty much everything I could ask from an ultralight 8x10 not to mention the ground glass is excellent even with slower lenses. There were some design compromises to save weight but it works well once you get used to it.

My Agfa Ansco cost me $200 on the bay. So far I've put in about 50 hours of work into restoring it, and probably will put in another 20-30 before I'm done. I've had to buy a new heat gun and finishes at around $50 total, so not bad if you don't count the labor. I also have to mention that I decided to jump into an 8x10 only because I already happened to have a lens that will cover the format (a vintage job that came with my 5x7, which I've had for a quarter of a century, so I don't count it as a cost), film holders and a decent stock of film I bought for another project, so the total outlays at this time were minimal.
    I've seen old cameras that probably wouldn't take much to bring up to a user standard sell for $400-600 or so. Not often, but you do see them.

Charles S

8x10 Norma 480 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

My 8x10 Sinar Norma with 480mm Apo Ronar and Sinar Shutter with cables
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    I’m not sure you’ve been paying attention...

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I’m not sure you’ve been paying attention...
    Thought the same thing

Hugo made me an offer I could not refuse.

Chamonix 810V on the way to me now. I of course should have just gone this way to start with. The old adage 'too poor to buy cheap' is true in my experience. Given my experience with the 57N and a 45N2 I used to own, I know I will be happy with this camera and that it will be a rock solid performer.

The Gibellini I think was cursed by a woods-witch at some point. After discovering that Fidelity holders don't fit, I packed up the spring back and the two holders they're replacing for a trip to Italy. This was a couple weeks ago, it should be there by now, but it's in tracking hell, somewhere in the midwest. It went to OH, then KY, then back to OH, now it's been 'in transit to next facitily' for 3 or 4 days. IF I get it back, I will promptly be selling it.

Hopefully this thread lives on and helps some people. NEVER buy Gibellini.

I'd be careful now shipping anything really important. I've never had shipping problems until the last couple of weeks. Fed Ex delivered a package of film to a house 40 miles away. UPS was supposed to deliver a package the next day, and their site listed it as being in Wisconsin, but the next day it took a trip to California. The pandemic and social unrest have likely put extreme pressure on shipping companies.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know