Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Might be. IF (big if) you already have some experience with working the materials to construct the camera, have the needed tools already and have easy/cheap access to materials. Not to mention time. Not only are you designer, engineer, manufacturer but also alpha tester, beta tester and client.

Building cameras is a separate hobby from photography.
    True. I said it would be cheap, I didn't say it would be inexpensive. Time and money, and all that. There are, however, good plans for 8x10's out on the internet.

The woodyman 8x10, mentioned in post #43, is an option I'd forgotten about.

Well...
    Good to read reviews about those new cheap camera builders.
    If you want cheap, build a carsboard camera for a 8x10 Fidelity holder. Just finished one for a Schneider Componon. (Because I'm thinking about building a wooden one)
    I also use a home made 4x5 made of African woodClick image for larger version. 

Name:	inbound4815355422238175999.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	204682

Nice design!

And one reason I have started calling most big cameras ‘box’.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatias View Post
    Well...
    Good to read reviews about those new cheap camera builders.
    If you want cheap, build a carsboard camera for a 8x10 Fidelity holder. Just finished one for a Schneider Componon. (Because I'm thinking about building a wooden one)
    I also use a home made 4x5 made of African woodClick image for larger version. 

Name:	inbound4815355422238175999.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	204682
    Tin Can

That looks like fun!
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    That looks like fun!
    Yes, it is a "Corona Virus" project for me. A bathroom at home is being redone, so I had some boxes from things like the autoclism. I already had this "problematic" Componon 240mm that I got cheap (25 euros / 28 dollars). So... Lets do it (before a build a "real camera")
    Already tested and works well (for a cardboard camera). This is an inverted picture of the paper negative.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Negative Image_4cbbc76a-3bc2-4779-b6ed-69b79c3d3784.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	204706

I did do some "upgrades" for some "light leaks" and for decoration purposes

Name:	20200614_152257.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	204707

The 8x10 may be my seventh wooden camera build.

Right now I'm quite happy with my kambala 4x5 camera. That wood is quite stable. It does work as intended. It doesn't have rear movements, as a design option. I don't have the need for it. Even thought has frontal movements and fine focus. I can also keep a lens and fold the camera (a practical need for me).

Name:	CRW_9852_p.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	204708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRW_9860_p.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	204709

I did built all cameras around "standard" holders. The 4x5 with a Toyo holder and this cardboard one around a Fidelity Elite 8x10. I believe that all the things I build should be compatible as possible with standard equipment.

While designing the 4x5 I tried to learn with all the cameras available (being Technika the reference) and came across with all the mentioned "new" cameras builders (Gibellini, Intrepid, Svedovsky, Stenopeika...).
    Whiteout using any of them I have some opinions:

Gibellini:
    I didn't know the base 8x10 was so cheap! I do think he uses many industrial standard parts and then he fell in love with CNC. It looks like over engineered in the design chapter. Don't like much the looks and the way the ground glass attaches to the camera. Too much small spaces: great for dust, bad to transport or to use outside. NEVER thought it could be almost incompatible with standard film holders!

Intrepid:
    I do think they also "fell in love" for the computer and CNC. Plywood isn't a bad think but may have some disadvantages. They don't look very robust but the cameras came a long way already. Maybe a good starter's camera. Quite basic. Quite cheap (?)

Svedovsky:
    Less is more. It looks quite basic and well built. "real wood", Doesn't look to have many parts. Well finished. That camera gave me some ideas for the 8x10. It might be a good camera.

Stenopeika:
    It has many shelf parts (does't he uses drawers sliders??). He could improve the portability by design. It looks quite bulky (the focusing systems and movements make the cameras "tall" when opened. If it is sturdy? I can't say.

I don't which of these I would choose. Deardorff look quite good (anyone has an opinion about those. Some had/have 6 but didn't get the opinion). Canham looks fantastic (anyone with an opinion about it?). Toyo... Toyo is a Toyo (lol). It's a pity Ebony ended.

Hope I helped!

PS:
    I started with pinhole. This is my currently used. Modular for multiple focal distances
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/gtmati...57654589638486

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatias View Post
    Right now I'm quite happy with my kambala 4x5 camera. That wood is quite stable. It does work as intended. It doesn't have rear movements, as a design option. I don't have the need for it. Even thought has frontal movements and fine focus. I can also keep a lens and fold the camera (a practical need for me).

Name:	CRW_9852_p.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	204708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRW_9860_p.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	204709
    I love that 4x5. Nice and simple.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Doing a DIY camera does sound like a cool project, but way beyond my abilities. I have always regretted not purchasing a Bender kit however. I found out later that Mr. Bender himself went to the same college as me, Southern Illinois University.

I wish he still made them.

I wonder if they'll be handling returns/repairs too then...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have 2 Kodak 2D 8x10 and they work fine. The hard part is finding a good one nowdays.