Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Margaret Bourke-White

Re: Margaret Bourke-White

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi Bob,

She was an amazingly talented photographer. The May 31, 1937 cover photo of the Golden Gate Bridge is credited to Standard Oil Company. Interesting. I wonder if a photo from her later aerial photography project of bridges made the cover.

When I think of bridge building across San Francisco Bay, her fellow staffer Peter Stackpole comes to mind. He photographed construction of the first two bridges, work that came to Luce's attention and ultimate hiring in the original group of four Life staff photographers. Peter had great respect for Bourke-White's work.

A bit off topic, I met Peter in Darien when he was still with Life, and later lived three blocks from him after he retired to his boyhood home here in Oakland. I got to know him well, and we went through the 1991 Oakland fire together; I was luckier that Peter, he lost most of a life's work, and a home turned to ash.
    Darien was a neat place, other then some lingering prejudices, to grow up. Peter Stackpole lived there along with MBW and Cathy Stackpole was in my school from 1st through 9th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I had to look her up.
    Oh. My. Dog. Really?

I knew about Ms. Bourke-White and her extraordinary photography well before I ever picked up an LF camera. She's one of my photography and LF heroes. Perhaps the best eye for patterns in all of photography, if not all of art.

You've got some treats ahead if you'll research her. I've got an exhibition catalog around that I still look at whenever I feel the need to have my jaw drop. Just an astounding artist.

Bruce Watson

Yes, really.

Now that I look at her work i do recognize some from ancient magazines. But I never knew her name. Nor did I dwell on the images as a child. We went outside, all day, every day in Minnesota.

As a life long mechanic, I made 35mm snapshots until I retired. Then studied Live Art, not photography.

8 years ago I took up this hobby. Every day I learn 2 bits and forget 3.

Right now test fitting a 203 Ektar to a 5X7 Premo SR to shoot glass plates. The original Bausch & Lomb Unicum Shutter is beyond my skill, my eyes and my worn fingers.

ps. I did research MBW yesterday, see I even know her acronym...thanks Bernice!

Now back to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Oh. My. Dog. Really?

I knew about Ms. Bourke-White and her extraordinary photography well before I ever picked up an LF camera. She's one of my photography and LF heroes. Perhaps the best eye for patterns in all of photography, if not all of art.

You've got some treats ahead if you'll research her. I've got an exhibition catalog around that I still look at whenever I feel the need to have my jaw drop. Just an astounding artist.

Some of her cameras were on permanent display at Syracuse University when I was there in the 1970s. I believe they were in the Newhouse journalism school.